Holy ----!!! What the heck???

Holy ----!!! What the heck???

Shazam

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5 Renegade with '74 304 V8 & Edelbrock manifold & carb, Heddman headers & sidepipes, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30, AMC 20
OK guys. Here's one for you. Hopped in the CJ and stepped on the gas pedal to engage the electric choke like I always do after its set a day or 2 and... It fires up and goes right to redline like I've got it floored!

I cut the ignition and gain my senses then start it up without holding the gas down and she starts and runs fine over the next hour or so stopping a restarting maybe 3 more times. I also notice that no fluid is leaking anywhere that I can tell.

Any ideas? Any and all are appreciated! Thanks! :chug:

sounds like the linkage stuck for some reason, I'd take the air cleaner off and operate it by hand to see if anything feels sticky when its at wide open throtle.
It might have just been a fluk but you sure don't want it to happen while driving.

Thanks Old Dog. I'll check that out ASAP. If there is a hang up (but nothing physical) does the link need to be lubed or something?

sounds like the linkage stuck for some reason, I'd take the air cleaner off and operate it by hand to see if anything feels sticky when its at wide open throtle.
It might have just been a fluk but you sure don't want it to happen while driving.

Had that happen to me in the middle of downtown Houston years ago, with a big V-8 in a light hotrod body.

There was a throttle return spring that brought the venturi butterfly back to idle when the gas pedal released. Spring had become disengaged, but a quick switch-off eliminated runaway and engine over-rev.

With the engine off and air breather removed, open the throttle and release, watch to see if it closes the throttle flapper valve on its own.

Sometimes crud builds up in the carb throat and causes the venturi throttle plate to stuck. Or the throttle plate has become un-staked from the cross piece through the carb throat.

Simplest solutions first..... check throttle return spring, sticking throttle flapper valve.

What carb are you running? Webers have been known to have issues such as this. Mine does this every three to six months. PINTA. I was warned about his before I bought it but I was shopping price and ease of install...

OK, now is when I wish I knew more about this stuff :) There doesn't appear to be any interference from anything under the air cleaner. And I'm running an Edelbrock 4 barrell. Problem is I don't know what I'm looking at with all the arms. For the most part everything moves freely but the "flap" on the front 2 barrells barely moves at all while pulling the main arm with the motor off. It has run fine till this little hiccup that scared the devil out of me...man was it loud! I'll trouble shoot this some more and thanks again for the input! :notworthy:

For the most part everything moves freely but the "flap" on the front 2 barrells barely moves at all while pulling the main arm with the motor off.

I had a 4BBL on a 350cubes V-8 in the first car I ever bought myself, a Cutlass Supreme in 1968. Cost me over 3 Grand!

It had progressive linkage..... the small pair of venturi flappers drew air-fuel mixture most of the time. The two larger venturi bores didn't open until
(a) you were already going fast and wanted to go faster, or
(b) you stuck your foot into it, and away you did go, big time!

So don't worry about only two of the four venturi valves opening when you advance the linkage with the engine off. Probably supposed to work that way.

Wish I still had the Cutlass, but just as happy with the CJ7 . Wish I knew more stuff to tell you to try and help. If it was airplanes. maybe I could help.

Denny

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom