how do i fix this

how do i fix this
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 cj7 4.2l i6 4speed trans
So i got to taking a closer look at mywheels and wheel wells and i noticed my rear wheels are not evenly spaced front to back (my drivers side is about 3.5" back from the front of the wheel well while the passenger is only about 1.75" from the front) the jeep drives really straight and does not pull to either side. the tires are 33x12.5 on 15s and all wear the same (from the center in they are worn more than from the center out) but all 4 look the same no one tire is worse than the others. so i guess my question is how would i make it even without throwing the alignment way out of wack? also im on a really tight budget right now so if it involves anything expensive then i will just be leaving it as is right now since it does run straight.:driving:

The question is, is the axle off or is the body off.
Measure from the front wheel to the back wheel, if it's the same than it's not the axle, start looking for bad body mounts. If it's different look for bad axle ubolts, or a bad spring hanger.

There is a bolt that holds the spring pac together that also orients the spring to spring perch. From time to time you see a vehicle that has experienced an impact strong enough to shear the bolt and let the spring perch move. sometime this is bad enough that it looks like the vehicle is going sideways down the road. this may be your problem.:cool:

Thamks i'm thinkin its the body mounts cause my wheel to wheel is pretty close and just about all the mounts are dry rotted and atleast one of them was actually loose. so whats the best way to fix this a while new kit or anything else?

Hockey pucks!!:laugh:

Thamks i'm thinkin its the body mounts cause my wheel to wheel is pretty close and just about all the mounts are dry rotted and atleast one of them was actually loose. so whats the best way to fix this a while new kit or anything else?

pics would be good

mine did the same thing.
The PO took some leafs off, as well as the suspension was original and worn out, and the shackles were extra long

you gonna find it hard to find hockey pucks in south georgia :D

get a good replacement poly body mount set.. as long as your frame mounts are not rotted you can just swap the bushings.. google them you will find hundreds.. also if you wanted to put a body lift on it now is the time since you will have it all apart.

take measurements from the tub on the coners to the frame.. they should be equal for both sides in the area measured..

For example front corners L= 12" R= 10.5" (just random numbers) your tub is crooked. IF it drives straight and doesnt wear the tires I would replace the body mounts.. You say money is tight but I think for around 180 you can get replacements for your whole jeep including new spring bushings, Transmission mounts, TRE boots and so on. OR you can find just the body mounts for about 60 Here a link to just one replacement set.

Energy Suspension Bushing and Components for Jeep CJ from Morris 4x4

I think if your body was off by that much at the wheel wells you would see it in other areas as well. Your front fenders would have moved sideways and your frame on the rear of the jeep would not line up straight with the body. If you body twisted from the bad mounts it would be very noticable. You should measure where your axle is sitting on the springs. You can measure from the spring eye bolt back to the axle housing on both sides and see if they are even.

cool thanks for the good info I jacked my back up last night at soccer practice so its going to be a while before i can crawl around under the ole beast but as soon as i can i will be getting back at it

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom