how hard is it to replace dash bulbs in a CJ7

how hard is it to replace dash bulbs in a CJ7

j0114

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 Laredo Black
The Jeep was totally gone thru, 124k original miles on body,
New Crate engine and Trans, Weber Carb, Interior replaced back to stock, Dana 44 Rear, Dana 35 Front, 2.5 " Suspension Lift 1" body 33-12.50 Tires on Mickey Thompson Wheels, New Dupont Paint
All of mine light up it just they have faded brightness over time and instead of white one is a greenish color
ones i Need to replace
Clock
RPM
PSI
AMP
Speedo- I plan on replacing all the bulbs
fuel-water temp-turn signals - hi beams as well as the bulbs for the speedo itself

I would also like to replace the bulbs under the dash that would shine on the floor mats

Ive been told by some dash bulbs cant be replaced , u have to replace the dash but i have a hard time believing u cant replace the bulbs in the speedo

Most are very replaceable and are small socket mounted bulbs, getting to them is the hard part.

It can be done without removing the dash or cluster. I just replaced all mine last month or so. But it's a real pain to get to them - but maybe you're skinnier than me :)

Most did well, but the 2 bottom illumination bulbs for the cluster are still faded on mine in that real light blue. But at least I know its not the bulbs when I get time to troubleshoot it.

Check me, but I think all the cluster bulbs are #56.

The easiest why I found was if you don't have the dash pad is to just take the dash loose and slide it up on the steering colulom and you'll have about 4" of clearance to work with to replace all the bulb, I just used a jack stand on the passengers side to hold the dash up. I replaced all bulbs and the six lights on the fan, heater, and lights indicators on mine like this.

Well I'm 6-2 about 215-22o
So it's going to be a squeeze for me too
I think i might talk my girl into helping
She's like 5-5 110
I'm sure she can get n slot easier

I'm so excited I'm about to get it back

Certifiablejeep made an excellent suggestion to hang your dash from the windshield.

Just put a rag or t-shirt or something over the steering column or you will lose a little paint.

2335d1265946971-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_1093.jpg
2334d1265946971-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_1092.jpg

I think I will do it that way, I had to try in get under the dash before and it wasnt fun, I think even if I got to take more parts off , it will make the work alot easier

I recently changed all my speedo bulbs, oil press, amp. I had to drop the A/C down, pretty easy about 4 screws, then just let it hang on plumbing, then removed the glove box and was able to either reach them from the bottom or through the glove box door. All the bulb sockets just push in/pull out.

Certifiablejeep made an excellent suggestion to hang your dash from the windshield.

Just put a rag or t-shirt or something over the steering column or you will lose a little paint.

2335d1265946971-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_1093.jpg
2334d1265946971-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_1092.jpg

I just rewired a bunch of bad wiring, replaced some, and tied up the rest, used 5" screws the same thread as the dash had, extended the dash out with those.. had plenty of room, now the problem is, I can't remember how the a/c unit hangs or mounts under the dash? do you have any pictures or good ideas on how to put it back? has a lip, looks like it the dash slips into the lip of the a/c? thanks.. wayne

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom