Build Thread How much does a $1500 Cj really cost?

Build Thread How much does a $1500 Cj really cost?

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
What have I done? 🤣 Bought another Cj of course. Gotta stay off marketplace.😁 Anyway about two years ago my daughter got into Jeeps and we ended up grabbing her a lifted Cherokee. Now she wants to learn to drive a manual. Strangely enough I havent had a manual since I rolled the Virginia Farm find about 4 years ago.

Ive been driving a Honda CRV to work and dont take Vader out in the Winter at all anymore. Lets just say its a pretty boring commute to work. Except for the two times Ive slid off the road in the snow. All this adds up to time for another Jeep. Looking through Facebook Marketplace I saw this picture and a price of $2500.

received_651188970369604.jpeg

I knew I wanted it right away but didnt have the cash. Luckily I never shy away from OT at work when I put my mind to something. More on this later after the thread is approved. 👍🏻

Can't wait for the "more on this later". Interesting find for sure.

Yeah you are peaking our interest.

Well at first look Im seeing Golden Eagle for $2500 and thinking I could be almost as cool as @elwood blues 😉 The second pic did nothing to dissuade that assumption.

received_757624452932826.jpeg

After that the wheels fell off figuratively and almost literally. Now Im starting to understand the price point and the tells that it isnt a Golden Eagle. I read the ad and it states its an 82 , Golden Eagles were only offered till 80. And of course the blatantly obvious Renegade script on the hood. At first I thougt it had first generation Renegade slots but those are aftermarket.
received_3819992871550531.jpeg

Its been sitting for a few years rotting away. Dont let the pics fool you its rusty for sure. Frame seems fine with one repair done by the rear spring shackle. The top is damn near new and theres 3 like new Bestop seats in it. Unfortunately that home carpet inside held water pretty good so the front floor boards are goners

received_1028847381541524.jpeg

I gave it the best once over I could being my knee was really giving me fits at the time. The side steps are made from pipe a earlier owner had laying around. 🤣 I couldn't get a good look at the transmission at all unfortunately. The guy said the owner before him wanted a rock crawler and that 1st gear was really low. I know its not a T-4 or T-5 cause the shifter is too far forward. Didnt look like a T-176 either. Im praying its a T-18 swapped in.

received_1122689048900754.jpeg

Now I started looking at this Cj a little before Christmas so I was lucky it was still available last week. The guy ran into the usual flakes you have to deal with when selling on Marketplace or Craigslist. Gets frustrating. So after looking it over pretty good I asked his bottom dollar and we shook on $1700. Heres where it took a strange turn.

Vicki was talking with his wife behind the Jeep and she called him over. He comes back and says to me will you do $1500? Never had that happen before so I asked if hed take $1300. 🤣 Anyhow so I got it for $1500. Im taking Vicki with me on all Jeep and parts purchases now. It even has a radio and working gas gauge. received_748066613908972.jpeg

Ah living in the Northeast. This is what a rebuilt 258 looks like after sitting uncovered outside for a few years. I'll be working on cleaning this up and making it look decent again for awhile Luckily it runs much better than it looks.

received_705735891721675.jpeg

It has a small 1inch body lift along with some lift shackles that clears the 31 inch tires. Also came with a swing out tire carrier. No plans to go much bigger cause we wont need it.

received_353812717415085.jpeg

When I looked at the top picture the top looked very long. I was thinking that hood was on a Scrambler. Pretty nice Jeep to start with.

When I looked at the top picture the top looked very long. I was thinking that hood was on a Scrambler. Pretty nice Jeep to start with.
How Id wish it was a Scrambler if it was all meant for me. Honestly my prospects of getting a Scrambler are pretty much over with the price of them these days.

And all that is mute either way cause my daughter wants a manual CJ7. I harassed her enough about not having a "real Jeep" this is for her in the long run. Something we build some memories in along the way of the build.

Heres her Cherokee

32297.jpeg

I havent ordered many parts yet. The Jeep itself isnt even in my possession. Conflicting schedules ( Mine of course ) may push pick up till the end of the month.

0202241602.jpg

But a shout out to Priority Tire. I liked the Comforser tires I got for Vader from them so I figured Id try the All Terrain style they have on this Jeep. Better for the Winter conditions Im planning on driving in.

0202241601.jpg

Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear. 🤣 Got it here yesterday. I took off tomorrow to poke around it a little better.

0210241429.jpg

Well here she is in the garage. First thing we had to do upon arrival was swap out the four rotted tires with some mismatched rollers.

0212241227_HDR.jpg

Im going to use the aluminum slots with the Comforser All Terrains I showed earlier. I do have some wagon wheels Ill paint gold and put some tires on to mimic a Golden Eagle but still to cold for any painting projects.

The guy told me the previous owner wanted to build a rock crawler and I was happy to see one piece axles in the rear.

0211241538.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
After that discovery things took a turn for the worse. My knee wasnt cooperating so my brother in law got behind the wheel. Started her up but all 4 wheels were froze up. Some persuasion with a sledge we got the fronts loose. Had beat on the Ebrake cables awhile to get the rears loose. In the meanwhile it overheated and blew a brittle fuel hard line.

Well at least it has some aftermarket hubs that I know work now

0211241540.jpg

Once I get a chance Ill take the plate off and peak at what trans I have. I dont want to say its a T-18 yet but Im pretty confident. Definitely has a low gear along with a dana 300. The plate has been modified.

0211241539.jpg

One thing I didnt care for was the gas tank. It is all completely behind the rear axle and hangs low. Its not the 22 gallon plastc tank either. Cant believe Im going to mess with it considering the fuel gauge works. 🤔🤣

0212241227a_HDR.jpg

Other than that it has maybe a half inch shackle lift and some springs that say Made in Columbia.

0211241541_Burst01.jpg

The frame itself looks pretty good with flaking paint and surface rust with one repair in the driver's side rear. Has some beat crusty Rancho shocks on it.

0211241540a.jpg

Gonna be alot of cleaning and up and sanding along with painting underneath. From a safety standpoint all new braking system is a must. The cooling system needs help as well. Every fluid changed and a few gaskets for sure. I may even replace this fender. 🤣 Tub holes will be fixed when the floor pans get replaced.

0211241544.jpg

Havent been able to get at this much due to my work schedule but I did manage to get her rolling freely like she should. Drove it for the first time myself seen my knee was acting up when we initially picked it up. Only around the block due to the leaking fuel line but got a little feel of it at least.

Definitely got a T-18 in there. Non synchronized 1st with a low ratio. Just need to get under there and determine if its a T-18 or T-18A. Love the low ratio either way but Im leaning towards the T-18A. Ill verify over the Easter holiday when I swap out that rusty fuel line. Had to get it out of the garage cause the fumes build up while the doors closed. Like the stance even though there only 31s. The tires look alright for all terrains. The suspension lift is definitely better than the crappy body lift on Vader.

0318241540_HDR.jpg

I surely relate to your constant thoughts and ambitions related to this next project. Kinda consumes a person. Love it though!
However, I do feel a bit privileged here, in the "dry" and "salt-free" West: That our older vehicles don't, for the most part, disintegrate and fall victim to the rust cancer that so many other areas do. Da$n!!!

I surely relate to your constant thoughts and ambitions related to this next project. Kinda consumes a person. Love it though!
However, I do feel a bit privileged here, in the "dry" and "salt-free" West: That our older vehicles don't, for the most part, disintegrate and fall victim to the rust cancer that so many other areas do. Da$n!!!

Yeah I got a taste of western vehicles back when I was in Arizona almost 30 years ago now. Had a couple Camaros and a Pontiac Grand Prix when I was out there. Beautiful cars compared to the East Coast to say the least. Then again drive train parts were alot more expensive compared to the East back then. Supply and demand for sure.

Im sure youll appreciate my East Coast floor "board". 🤣

0321241809.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks