How much lift you can run without having to modify the pistons

How much lift you can run without having to modify the pistons

Titan907

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ 5 304 3 Speed Fiberglass Tub and fenders
I'm curious how much lift you can run without having to modify the pistons. What intake style works best? Single plane, dual plane, air gap?

Re: bolt on power

I'm curious how much lift you can run without having to modify the pistons. What intake style works best? Single plane, dual plane, air gap?

I could be beneficial to know what engine your running, as they are not all the same.;)

I'm running forged flat top pistons with 71' hi-compression heads & a .500 lift cam. It has a Edlebrock dual plane air gap intake. On a V8 a dual plane is better for low end torque. A single plane tends to be a street racer type of thing.

Sorry, it's a '78 AMC 304 . Stock so far...

With a stock AMC V8 you are wasting your time with a lot of cam.
you need to stay under 4500 rpm or you'll regret it.
The factory oiling system is not up to high rpm use.
There is a list of oiling modifications that need to be done for high rpm use.
In my images there are some pictures of my motor that show a oil line running through the lifter valley. If you look close you'll see extra oil return holes drill in the valley it's self. There is another thread with some pictures. I'll have to go through my other hard drive & try to find them. You could try the search feature too.

With a stock AMC V8 you are wasting your time with a lot of cam.
you need to stay under 4500 rpm or you'll regret it.
The factory oiling system is not up to high rpm use.
There is a list of oiling modifications that need to be done for high rpm use.
In my images there are some pictures of my motor that show a oil line running through the lifter valley. If you look close you'll see extra oil return holes drill in the valley it's self. There is another thread with some pictures. I'll have to go through my other hard drive & try to find them. You could try the search feature too.

Don't take that wrong, one trip up to 4500 rpm isn't going to blow your motor, but if you do it much you motor will start to lose oil pressure. And how much do you know about your motors history?;)

I know nothing about it. I just picked up the project. I'm up for modifying the oil system, etc. I'm going to be going through it from top to bottom anyhow. I don't want to be a thread thief, but I sure do appreciate the info.:notworthy: I've had a few jeeps in the past, and the stock AMC 304 had plenty of power for the lightweight CJ5 , I'm just looking for a little more HP on this one...I don't care about fuel mileage, or emissions. This isn't going to be a daily driver...

Lets start a new thread on this - I'll move the posts and get it done... :)

This a loaded question... :)

Lift is not a good gauge for your engine efficiency... :)

A CJ really needs low RPM torque and HP, for this, lift really doesn't come into question (duration - yes - get the fuel to the engine). Heck, I would be worried about valve spring binding before piston contact using most aftermarket cams.

During my sand drag days, I did much work on checking valve to piston spacing (playdo or clay is your friend here). My CJ saw 7000+ in 100 yards, not typical for normal everyday CJ's... :)

As for what intake works best, what are your intentions? For normal off-road, a dual plane is the best, when I raced - the Torquer II that I had was what worked... :)

We need some more info to help you. :)

Moderate off road use. No drag racing. Mostly for cruising with the top down. I'd like to get some sound out of it, and be able to hit some fire roads, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.:notworthy:

This a loaded question... :)

Lift is not a good gauge for your engine efficiency... :)

A CJ really needs low RPM torque and HP, for this, lift really doesn't come into question (duration - yes - get the fuel to the engine). Heck, I would be worried about valve spring binding before piston contact using most aftermarket cams.

During my sand drag days, I did much work on checking valve to piston spacing (playdo or clay is your friend here). My CJ saw 7000+ in 100 yards, not typical for normal everyday CJ's... :)

As for what intake works best, what are your intentions? For normal off-road, a dual plane is the best, when I raced - the Torquer II that I had was what worked... :)

We need some more info to help you. :)

Sorry just had to comment on CJ's sand draging days, I saw a 5 the other day set up for sand drags and i CRAPPED it was a 383 chrysler engine twin turbo'ed with all the toys and bells and it looks amazing i wanted it :D

Sorry just had to comment on CJ's sand draging days, I saw a 5 the other day set up for sand drags and i CRAPPED it was a 383 chrysler engine twin turbo'ed with all the toys and bells and it looks amazing i wanted it :D
:)

I'm old... LOL - My dragging days were in the early 1980's... :)

Who doesn't want a twin turbo 383?:dunno: Maybe not in my CJ5 , but...:cool:

Any CJ5 has so short of a wheelbase that they do not recomend more than 2 inches of lift for stability reasons. There is a chart somewhere online with lift suggestions but I do not have it marked.

I guess I am not drinking enough, what does lift have to do with piston size?:wtf:
It seems to make sence to everybody else.

I guess I am not drinking enough, what does lift have to do with piston size?:wtf:
It seems to make sence to everybody else.
This was started on a different thread. I was asking about valve lift and making power with a AMC 304 ...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom