How much MTF do I need?

How much MTF do I need?

dagwoodzz

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ V6 4SP
My tranny got locked up in 1st gear. Took it to the shade tree mechanic at the end of the road. He showed me how to remove the shifter and unlock it. (charged me $10 what a deal) He also showed me water in the tranny.

Needless to say I need to change my fluid. I'm going to go with the Amsoil MTF based on what I read here...

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/so-confussed-t5-fluid-use-13691/

My question is how much fluid do I need to buy? 1 gal? 2 gal. It's a '85 CJ straight 6 w/ 4spd manual.

Just want to make sure I have enough before I start.

Thanks- Dag

buy two you are going to use it whenever you go submarine. You have a T-176 Transmission ?? My J-10 used to do that lock up thing where the shift rails get out of line. I replaced the stick itself and the problem went away. It always happened when I went for reverse too fast, most of the time.

got to where I could pull the top off the shift tower and line it up at a traffic light in about 30 seconds.:D

the new stick was money well spent.:cool:

My tranny got locked up in 1st gear. Took it to the shade tree mechanic at the end of the road. He showed me how to
remove the shifter and unlock it. (charged me $10 what a deal) He also showed me water in the tranny.

Needless to say I need to change my fluid. I'm going to go with the Amsoil MTF based on what I read here...

My question is how much fluid do I need to buy? 1 gal? 2 gal. It's a '85 CJ straight 6 w/ 4spd manual.

Thanks- Dag

My tranny got locked up in 1st gear. Took it to the shade tree mechanic at the end of the road. He showed me how to remove the shifter and unlock it. (charged me $10 what a deal) He also showed me water in the tranny.

Thanks- Dag
Well don't be confused anylonger I had gl5 in my Transmission and Transfer Case and the Transmission shifted hard and the Transfer Case shifted so hard I thought I would break the shift lever off. I also read about the gl4 and changed my fluid in the Transmission and Transfer Case to gl4. I could only find it here at a tractor supply store and bought 5 gals, and a transfer pump. After I changed the fluid to gl4, after about 50 miles the Transmission started shifting smoother, and I could actually shift the Transfer Case and it has kept getting better the long I drive it. From what I've read the Gl5 has additives in it that corrode ferrous metals that are in the T-176 and Dana 300 . Hope this helps!:)

Thanks- Dag

You will need about 5 qts.... guys like me with the T-18 take more fluid it was in the 6 qt range... The amsoil MTF does work very well..... Thanks for reading what I posted iin the other artlcle...

Will need to do the Transmission & Transfer Case .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom