I finally got MY CJ & RUNNING!

I finally got MY CJ & RUNNING!

Al Lindner

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ 7 258 CID T176
2004 F-150
I finaly got the CJ running Idles good but a little High about 200rpm over the 800 the book says Here is the rub it stammers and studders when driving just runs crappy I put a timing light on it and the mark doesnt show.When I reinstalled the distributer I was Very cautious to be @ tdc on#1. I was lined up on the timing marks on the timing chain cover but like I said the mark doesnt show when I try and time it. I pulled a plug and it was sooty as hell. So here are the questions I have
1.Would the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l run IF I was 180degrees out with the distributer?
2. IS it possible to put the Balancer on backwards (flipped over) ? its Keyed to the crank so My assumption is it will only go on one way

3.Could it be a bad coil (Insufficient Spark)
Please, any info would be greatly appriciated

1. No it will not run when 180deg out
2. It's not your balancer.
3. no
I sounds like you may have the distributer in wrong. I would run it around with the #1 plug out and your thumb oner the plug hole until it pops it off so you know you are at top dead center then check where your timming mark is on the balancer and where the rotor is it should be pointing at the #1 plug. Hope this helps.

1. No it will not run when 180deg out
2. It's not your balancer.
3. no
I sounds like you may have the distributer in wrong. I would run it around with the #1 plug out and your thumb oner the plug hole until it pops it off so you know you are at top dead center then check where your timming mark is on the balancer and where the rotor is it should be pointing at the #1 plug. Hope this helps.

What do you mean by the distributor is in Wrong?
I hate "Falling Back" as its getting dark outside and its not even 5PM yet but tell me does this sound like a plan to you
I want to bump the motor until the timing mark lines up on the timing chain cover or close, Then I'll pull the rotor cap and check the rotor location
When I say I might be 180 out What I mean is I had number one at the top of the EXAHUST Stroke and Not the Compression stroke.
you have given me some real good advice in this forum so I want to make sure my termanology is right when I post on here Thank you

I mean you could just be a couple teeth off. And by finding top dead center center the way I said you can check both the distributor and make sure the timming mark on the balancer is lining up.

Cool, I need to make up a switch to bump the motor w/o climbing in and out of the dang jeep. I used to have a pistol grip you could just hook up and crank the motor. I'll check NAPA tomorrow it will make trouble shooting a easier

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom