Identifying transfer case

Identifying transfer case

hockeydad22

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1963 Jeep CJ 5
1972 Jeep CJ 5
Good morning, I recently purchased a 1963 CJ 5 set up with an Oldsmobile 350 and 350 turbo transmission. The transfer case has 3 shifting levers on it and says warne on the side, I have owned several jeeps but have never seen this type of set up. I was told it was set up with a low - low gear. can anyone tell me more about this?

Just picked up an 86 CJ7....the motor is a 4.0 but I have no idea what the transmission is. It's a 4 speed...that's all I know. BTW first jeep I've ever decided to work on myself so be nice.

Just picked up an 86 CJ7....the motor is a 4.0 but I have no idea what the transmission is. It's a 4 speed...that's all I know. BTW first jeep I've ever decided to work on myself so be nice.
Are you sure its a 4.0? They came with 4.2 the Wrangler and Cherokees had the 4.0

Look at that thread Busa put up. It's really good.

Sent from Tapatalk on a small phone, forgive the misspelling.

Just picked up an 86 CJ7....the motor is a 4.0 but I have no idea what the transmission is. It's a 4 speed...that's all I know.
It's either a very wimpy T4. Click here for more info: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/index2.html#post97100
t4_novak.jpg

Or its the much stronger T176. Click here for more info: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/#post97093
t176.jpg

Now if the engine has been swapped out with a Wrangler then it may have a different tranny.

If stock it can only be a T-176 – 77 or T4

The 176/77 has an aluminum top cover with 6 bolts with an angular stick
The T4 also has an aluminum cover but with eleven bolts, has a curved stick

If stock should be a 258

Edit: Busa beat me to it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks