Identifying transfer case

Identifying transfer case

hockeydad22

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1963 Jeep CJ 5
1972 Jeep CJ 5
Good morning, I recently purchased a 1963 CJ5 set up with an Oldsmobile 350 and 350 turbo Transmission . The Transfer Case has 3 shifting levers on it and says warne on the side, I have owned several jeeps but have never seen this type of set up. I was told it was set up with a low - low gear. can anyone tell me more about this?

Just picked up an 86 CJ7 ....the motor is a 4.0 but I have no idea what the Transmission is. It's a 4 speed...that's all I know. BTW first jeep I've ever decided to work on myself so be nice.

Just picked up an 86 CJ7 ....the motor is a 4.0 but I have no idea what the Transmission is. It's a 4 speed...that's all I know. BTW first jeep I've ever decided to work on myself so be nice.
Are you sure its a 4.0? They came with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l the Wrangler and Cherokees had the 4.0

Look at that thread Busa put up. It's really good.

Sent from Tapatalk on a small phone, forgive the misspelling.

Just picked up an 86 CJ7 ....the motor is a 4.0 but I have no idea what the Transmission is. It's a 4 speed...that's all I know.
It's either a very wimpy T-4 . Click here for more info: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/index2.html#post97100
t4_novak.jpg

Or its the much stronger T-176 . Click here for more info: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/#post97093
t176.jpg

Now if the engine has been swapped out with a Wrangler then it may have a different tranny.

If stock it can only be a T-176 – 77 or T-4

The 176/77 has an aluminum top cover with 6 bolts with an angular stick
The T-4 also has an aluminum cover but with eleven bolts, has a curved stick

If stock should be a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

Edit: Busa beat me to it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom