idler pulley/bearing

idler pulley/bearing

jamesweed

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 cj-7, 258, T-5, dana 300, stock diffs; 1967 Chevy Nova 2d HT
Ive got an 85 CJ7 with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , CA smogged, AC, P/S. The idler pulley which mounts on the PS bracket has fried its bearing. I can not find a replacement anywhere! Parts stores, Internet, the Manufacturer told me theyre not being made anymore, which is hard to believe. It has FAG 559000 CANADA stamped on it. Has anyone had to replace this before? Or did you have to sub in a new pulley from another year?

yeah I saw the same post from that site. motion industries told me that FAG doesnt make that bearing, or that theyre unavailable. I saw a pulley from NAPA for an 87 wrangler that has slightly smaller diameter. not sure I can get enough tension on it though.

Motion ind. could not find you a bearing to the proper dimensions??
That has to be some kind of weird bearing.:cool:

yeah I saw the same post from that site. motion industries told me that FAG doesn't make that bearing, or that they're unavailable. I saw a pulley from NAPA for an 87 wrangler that has slightly smaller diameter. not sure I can get enough tension on it though.

In that post towards the bottom someone actually gave the dimensions too, but in all actuallity, you already have the bearing and dimentions in your hands so that's not that big of a deal :D

finally got one at NAPA of all places. OD: 40mm ID: 11.68mm W: 12mm.

NAPA PN: 6203-2RSJX

REdiculously priced at $40.

Last edited:
Nice!! Not the price i suppose, but happy u got her figured out!! Should help some others too since it seems it was a rather empty of solution problem from what i read on what i posted:cool:

I need an Idler, these are very hard to find! you are lucky that you only need a bearing:D I talked to Collins Brothers today and the Serpentine Belt is unique to California:eek:

When I first started searching I was gonna go with a idler, figuring it would be easy. Everyonte told me to check with a jeep dealer, which I never did, but maybe it's the way to go.

is this a serpentine or a regular V belt??:cool:

Since the Serpentine Belt was only on California Cjs you would have more luck trying yards in California. I called all over and finally found one at J&W Auto Wreckers;
J&W Auto Wreckers: New & Used Jeep Parts

It was new and pricey (:eek:$75.00:eek:) but I needed it.

So i too am having trouble fing a decent priced pulley...$80 no thanks. Anyone had luck with finding a bearing/bearing # that works. just started making noise last night:(
Also can anyone verify that a neon pulley may work or use the same bearing?? read that? or maybe a 4.0l pulley??

Last edited:
:bang: is crown the only answer!!

Anybody have a pic of this pulley? I think I went through this a couple of years ago. My neighbor works at a bearing shop, and I either got it from him, or off a grand cherokee or some 90's ford.

Sorry, update..I was able to buy for my cost $17 a pulley for an 89 dodge caravan vbelt pulley, pressed in that bearing and it seems to be ok. Can post #for pulley when I find slip

No problem, just wanted to see if it was same one I got.

I know not everybody has a bearing supply house down the street so this is an outfit I have done business with a few times. It is not very often that a manufacturer will use a special design bearing so the number and brand or just the OD,ID and depth will get you a replacement. Bearings, themselves, are pretty cheep.:D

Ball Bearings online:Buy VXB bearing online

My bearings were starting to go out got mine though a bearing supply KYK bearings # 6203 2RSC3 1/2" SR12. the 1/2" is the bolt hole. Paid 10 a piece

Go to a real 'bearing house' and ask for NSK 6203-625VVC3 bearing-
Buy 2, and keep one for a spare.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom