In a clutch

In a clutch

driver007

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj5 304 v8, 300 Dana,model 30 Dana and model 20 AMC rear end
Is there a good better best in clutches? Should a person be looking for a option that is on one clutch but not another? Question 2 Why does the diff and transfere case have a breather barb and not one on the tranny or did I just not see it.

I think they are primary different in torque ratings but that should be accounted for when you pick your motor type. I would assume for racing it might be more important.

I usually just get the cheapest for my specs and you will find many made by the same company. The last disc I picked up was from Rock Auto. $40. You can find whole kits for $110 or so.

I figure I do not ride mine or drive my Jeep much though, so you may get a better answer. :D

Oh yeah, can't remember if my T-4 had a breather but T-18 does.

For my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , T-176 I just bought a Sachas complete kit that came with throwout bearing, pilot bearing, alignment tool, and housing for $130 at Orelie's. Or you can spend $350-450 on a center force clutch and I'm not sure if the bearings come with that. But unless you have a highly modified motor with high horsepower and torque and are doing some hardcore wheeling and mud bogging IMO you shouldn't need it. But its your rig!:)

Most people by centerforce for bragging rites. They do have a bit more clamping force, but the silly weights don't come into effect until high rpm. Since I rarely break 1500rpm on the trail, it would be a waste of money. I just usually go with one from Luk. Never had an issue.

As for the breather, the T-176 , NP435 and I believe the T-18 all 'breath' through the hole where the shifter goes in. The shifter retainer isn't air tight.

My Uncle and I bought clutches right around the same time.

He's got the Centerforce Dual friction clutch, I bought the cheaper OEM style crown replacement clutch.

While he's not overly impressed with the dual for many of the reasons above, I notice while we are doing the exact same things wheelin, my clutch will start to smell (burn) when riding it / feathering it (doing what I'm not supposed to :cool:) and his will not.

Just a thought to bring to the table is all. I'm not saying buy the expensive ones (centerforce etc), and people above are absolutely correct with their posts! Just wondering if its driver difference causing the burning (definitley possible) or something to be said about "higher" quality clutch discs.

:chug:

~ JR

While he's not overly impressed with the dual for many of the reasons above, I notice while we are doing the exact same things wheelin, my clutch will start to smell (burn) when riding it / feathering it (doing what I'm not supposed to :cool:) and his will not.
Have you driven each others Jeeps are seen the results?

My Uncle and I bought clutches right around the same time.

He's got the Centerforce Dual friction clutch, I bought the cheaper OEM style crown replacement clutch.

Just a thought to bring to the table is all. I'm not saying buy the expensive ones (centerforce etc), and people above are absolutely correct with their posts! Just wondering if its driver difference causing the burning (definitley possible) or something to be said about "higher" quality clutch discs.

~ JR

What axle gearing does he have, what low tranny gear, what year, make, model and color is it? LOL :poke: Let's turn this into a Dana 44 VS Dana 20 , Arched spring VS SOA, Manual VS Auto (oh wait, we know what real men drive) :D, and on and on.

Just kidding JR. I know there are different materials as well that can be used, and the more expensive probably will hold a little more torque. Crown probably uses the same material they make chinese drywall out of so it will burn down and pollute the atmosphere in a similar manner which is what you are smelling :laugh: Actually, I would hope you get something for double the price!

The tranny is aT177

What axle gearing does he have, what low tranny gear, what year, make, model and color is it? LOL :poke: Let's turn this into a Dana 44 VS Dana 20 , Arched spring VS SOA, Manual VS Auto (oh wait, we know what real men drive) :D, and on and on.

Just kidding JR. I know there are different materials as well that can be used, and the more expensive probably will hold a little more torque. Crown probably uses the same material they make chinese drywall out of so it will burn down and pollute the atmosphere in a similar manner which is what you are smelling :laugh: Actually, I would hope you get something for double the price!

:laugh:

We actually have the exact same drivetrain :cool: thats why i figured it would be a good comparison

The only real un consistant factor is my young lead foot :cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom