inside or out side

inside or out side

driver007

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj5 304 v8, 300 Dana,model 30 Dana and model 20 AMC rear end
Just wondering witch headers give the least amount of trouble in regards to easy dual exhaust? Inside frame or out side frame. I want to stay stock and not cut sheet metal. But will if it saves greive in the long run.

Just wondering witch headers give the least amount of trouble in regards to easy dual exhaust? Inside frame or out side frame. I want to stay stock and not cut sheet metal. But will if it saves greive in the long run.

Outside the frame is easier for the purpose of fitment. I run dual inside exhaust and it was a challenge to get the drivers side past the clutch slave cylinder and it's components.

Still, I prefer inside. Have you considered running a collector and going single exhaust? That's really the least headache.

When I get a chance I will put it on a hoist and get a good look. I just love the rumble. My frist cj had it and it is a must have for sentamentail reasons.

When I get a chance I will put it on a hoist and get a good look. I just love the rumble. My frist cj had it and it is a must have for sentamentail reasons.

I had this discussion the other day with my shop dude. He claims up and down that a single line with todays exhaust systems sounds just as good if not better then a dual exhaust.
What I like about the dual exhaust is I can diagnose a problem easier IE..which bank has a problem.

I never thought about single exhaust sounding as good. I will have to perhaps reconsider but I will in no way lower myself to a soup can muffler sound found on the kiidie cars bopping around now days. Drives me nuts listening to those imports. It would be less head ache. Do headers give less perfomance when run into a single verses a dual system?

Do headers give less perfomance when run into a single verses a dual system?

In the late 70's I had the opertunity to be in a nascar pit crew and most of the cars at that time used a collector. Both headers into one pipe which exited in front of the driver side rear wheel.
If it worked for those engines, it'll work for anything you'll ever run.

I have 2 set s of fenderwell headers and I don't like them.
Since shorty headers are no longer available, I'm switching back to stock type manifolds.
They make your floorboards uncomfortablely warm so may need to add heat shields between the floor and header.
You'll also need tocut out a good chunk of your inner fender to install them.
Unless you've got your foot right in it most of the time headers won't give you any help in performance.
IMHO your best bet would be stick with manifolds and just put on some cherry bombs if you want rumble noise.

I ran the summit racing brand headers fenderwell exit with 30" cherry bombs. :cool: sounded great! Until the leaks started...

Ive tried every trick from regular, carbon fiber, copper gaskets, cutting the flange to bolt the tubes independantly... Etc

Finally just ordered a set of hookers supper competition tuned fenderwell headers with thrush supper hush turbo mufflers.

Uncle just bought thesame set up, love the sound. Quieter, but cleaner rumble on all driving. And the flange seal quality was 5 x better...

If you go headers, spring for at least mid grade. They are deffinitley a get what you pay for type of part. Dont need the $800.00 ceramic coated ones or nothing, but stay away from those 1-200 ones...

:chug:
Jr

Generally speaking a good header set up into a single system will give better low end torque due to how the exhaust scavaging works. You lose a little power in the upper rpm range because the single pipe become a restriction but in a V8 that may never really see over 5000 rpms you won't notice or care.

One thing to consider and its not well known and only matters with where you wheel. Cherry Bombs, Purple Hornies or any other strait through glass pack mufflers are not USFS legal. I know it sounds crazy but all offroad vehicles must have a spark arrester and while there are no arresters made for automotive use any baffled muffler is ok.
The rule is not always enforced or even known, but around here there is more then one officer that rights it up often.

One thing to consider and its not well known and only matters with where you wheel. Cherry Bombs, Purple Hornies or any other strait through glass pack mufflers are not USFS legal. I know it sounds crazy but all offroad vehicles must have a spark arrester and while there are no arresters made for automotive use any baffled muffler is ok.
The rule is not always enforced or even known, but around here there is more then one officer that rights it up often.

This is excellent info I had forgotten about. :p

I had mine on for about a year, and went into Prairie city (Local OHV park ran by Fed Rangers) pretty regularly. Was scared each time they'd turn me away, but didn't.

But it is technically a law, so it's a good point.

:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom