Iron Duke ignition upgrade

Iron Duke ignition upgrade

jesseb

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ 7 bone stock for now
Hi,
My jeep is over due for a tune up and I am planning to change the fluids, spark plugs, plug wires, and distributor cap. What caps, plugs and wires have worked well for you guys in the past. My jeep is a 1981 CJ7 4 banger.
Thanks

MSD makes the best wires, Autolite spark plugs work best for me. For the cap and rotor, I would think the Echlin brand available at N.A.P.A. would be a good way to go. I love looking under the hood of a Jeep and seeing a basic 4 banger.

Thanks i will look into those. Any other tips to make the iron duke more powerfull. My first riv was a willys and i do love the 4 bangers and will probly. Keep this for a while just hoping to make it feel more powerful.

Gearing and tire choice I would think is critical. Getting a low as possible ratio and still being able to do a 60 m.p.h. to get to a trailhead. There is always a 4 to1 Transfer Case conversion with twin stick shifters for the Dana 300 . Howell Engine Developments or a good local fuel injection shop could possibly make you an f.i. setup for more power and economy. Weight is a problem also, aluminum wheels,ditching the rear seat, and carrying only what you can get by with. Its always fun to go to a fuel stop with a bunch of other Jeeps and need little for a fill up or climb a loose sandy hill that others have to use lots of momentum to scale. With a little searching, you will probably find other 4 banger guys with great ideas on the iron duke.

I also have an Iron Duke (1980). I went all AC Delco when I tuned it. Hey, that's what it came with it and I like as much OEM as I can get.

I think 60 MPH in my CJ5 would be suicide.:eek: Not to mention the engine turning at 3500+++.:(

I'm running standard gears and 15 X 31 X 10.5's.

Yea in my CJ7 60mph isn't to bad I wouldn't want to go much faster. I am really trying to decide how much I want to put into this jeep. I know with gearing I can be pretty happy with the iron duke. In low gear I love how it drives off road. I'm not starting to think about 32 inch TSL tires and leave the rest stock. Even though the 34 inch pizza cutters look way cooler. I think with 32s I can get buy with out re gearing? I don't need this rig to be to hardcore just fun and capable for moderate trails even though I really want to build it hardcore.

Yea in my CJ7 60mph isn't to bad I wouldn't want to go much faster. I am really trying to decide how much I want to put into this jeep. I know with gearing I can be pretty happy with the iron duke. In low gear I love how it drives off road. I'm not starting to think about 32 inch TSL tires and leave the rest stock. Even though the 34 inch pizza cutters look way cooler. I think with 32s I can get buy with out re gearing? I don't need this rig to be to hardcore just fun and capable for moderate trails even though I really want to build it hardcore.

NO hardcore for me. I bought this thing to do the same stuff a Sport Ute would do, at half the price. Plus, no trailer! I can drag it to my fun areas.

However, "once bitten twice shy". I've poured some serious cash into this thing and it wants more! Now I'm stuck with it. No way I can recoup my investment. BUT, it is an Arizona original CJ5 , NO RUST. All steel everywhere you look.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom