Jeep CJ5 Body work

Jeep CJ5 Body work

Nwolford51

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
So I am just a poor college boy trying to get my new jeep back in a decent shape to beable to drive. I have watched craigslist and can not find a used body that will work for my jeep. I went to the junk yard and they had a couple of wrangle bodys that look pretty close except the gas tank is on the opposite side. If I go this route will the hard top still beable to fit on the new tub. It is a 1980 CJ5 . Also if I decide to patch the original tub what is the best route for stripping the body. Maybe not the easiest but the most cost efficient. Can I use a grinder with a wire wheel attachment?

first off, if we are talking about the same jeep you have pictures of in your gallery, you do not have a CJ5 you have a CJ7 .

Is the body the big problem? does it run OK?
We need more pictures, I see at least one front fender that needs to be replaced and the tail gate looks a bit rough but not something to keep you from driving it. A lot of the body cancer could be covered with tread plate "armor", I think thats what it is for. :cool:

If it is a 80' CJ7 then the current top would fit up to a 95 Wrangler tub I believe, but that would probably be the least of my worries. IMHO I'm sure you would probably spend more time and money adapting that body to your rig, then fixing the tub you've got. (provided it's salvagable) I stripped the body of my CJ5 in a day, using paint stripper, and my good trusty angle grinder w/wire brush. :) That didn't include the many days it took me to get the tub off the frame though! If it's a CJ5 that you have, it would not work to go with a wrangler tub, unless you like to do lots of cutting and welding. The CJ7 and wrangler have a longer wheel base, and longer tub, to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Looked at your rig. All I see is potential! If you look at some of the gallery pics of some of the body repair done by guys on this site with their rigs You'll feel better!! And if you mess it up like I do, X2 on covering it with diamond plate! :laugh:

I will try to post more pictures tonight. I was unaware that it is a CJ7 . I have been told it was a CJ5 . What is the difference other than wheel base. As far as running, it does pretty good. I had a few problems that I have fixed. The engine was running a bit on the hot side around 215 degrees at warm idle. I put a fan shroud which took care of that problem. There also was a loud screeching sound from the front of the engine. I started with the water pump and it seemed fine. Then I took a look at the harmonic balancer and it also seemed fine. Took off the timing plate cover and come to find out that 1 bolt to the cam drive was completly off, 1 was half way off and the other was just finger tight. Luckily I caught it early enough that it didn't cause any problems. It has a 350 with a turbo 350 Transmission . The Transmission was leaking oil around the pan so I bought a new filter and gasket and took care of that. Next I plan to take the body completely off and fix some rust spots. The driver and passenger floor is rusted out, the back corner gaurd is in bad shape and the two spots below both doors are in need of some work also. I have already purchased two used fenders in great shape for $40 for both. I will definately get some pictures added so I can know what I am working for. What type of paint remover did you use?

I will try to post more pictures tonight. I was unaware that it is a CJ7 . I have been told it was a CJ5 . What is the difference other than wheel base. As far as running, it does pretty good. I had a few problems that I have fixed. The engine was running a bit on the hot side around 215 degrees at warm idle. I put a fan shroud which took care of that problem. There also was a loud screeching sound from the front of the engine. I started with the water pump and it seemed fine. Then I took a look at the harmonic balancer and it also seemed fine. Took off the timing plate cover and come to find out that 1 bolt to the cam drive was completly off, 1 was half way off and the other was just finger tight. Luckily I caught it early enough that it didn't cause any problems. It has a 350 with a turbo 350 Transmission . The Transmission was leaking oil around the pan so I bought a new filter and gasket and took care of that. Next I plan to take the body completely off and fix some rust spots. The driver and passenger floor is rusted out, the back corner gaurd is in bad shape and the two spots below both doors are in need of some work also. I have already purchased two used fenders in great shape for $40 for both. I will definately get some pictures added so I can know what I am working for. What type of paint remover did you use?
Sounds like you have a good bit of mechanical ingenuity. I think if you have taken care of these problems you would have no problem getting into the sheet metal and replacingsome. Do a bit of a search in the body section and we are amasing quite a few articles about body work. I myself amnot the best but can do a job suitible for a CJ so I know it is not to hard. Plus for around 20 bucks you can get a basic body work book.

I agree with Baja 110%
Body work isn’t rocket surgery. But a little research can go a long way toward a job you are proud of and not having to do it more than once. Paint is expensive; make sure you get the right stuff for the job. Your local paint supplier will be happy to help you, most of the guys he does business with started doing this just like you are doing this. Hell you may even find you enjoy it. Your supplier can set you up with a “system” of compatible paint; you won’t want the primer to bubble up because you used the wrong type of top coat. Just tell him what you are doing and you want something inexpensive for this project.
I would avoid the strippers and paint remover, old paint is your friend, as long as it is not hiding rust. You may find that if it is hard to remove it is better off left. The grinder and brush will do a pretty good job for you. Be prepared to prime bare metal as soon as it is clean and dry.
One last thing, be safe!! Read the MSD sheets on the chemicals, some of them can actually kill you if you breathe them. And almost all of them are very flammable.
Wear a respirator or at least a dust mask, rust and paint dust are bad enough, can you imagine if you mix it with paint remover. There is no way this is good for your lungs or your skin. :cool:

good luck

Re: Jeep CJ5 Body work - removing paint

I removed several coats of many colors from a 1941 Plymouth once with just wet-sandpaper and a sanding block. That was without mechanical aids; woulda loved a good rotary oscillator with 120grit !

Should be a piece of cake with power tools.

Hey on the engine stuff i cant help you but i do body work for a living. Its easy you just gotta know what shortcuts you can or cant take. i personally dont like grinders because it tends to show up in the paint. what i do when i strip things is use a Dual action sander (we call it a DA) get an random orbital da (ussually has a handle on it) i prefer the 6 inch pad one (they make them in 8 too) and get some 80 grit to strip it (hold it flat or that will show too) after you do that patch it or whatever you need to do, use bondo if you need it, then use 180 grit and go over everything again then you are ready to prime and paint it.
Hope that helps Good Luck!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom