Jeep CJ5 Desert King?

Jeep CJ5 Desert King?

Renegade

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ-7 258 Inline 6 with 4.0 head Offenhauser Intake and Holley Carb, the rest stock
Can anyone tell me if there was a Desert King Model made. I just wondered if this was a rare find? The Craigslist Post says it is a 1974 with a V8 AMC 304 .

As far as I know: There was no FACTORY 'Desert King' model. Aparently dealerships added options onto the CJs they were selling to increase the pricetag or just to try and sell more. They added thier own model names and 'Desert King' may be one of those. Or it could be something an individual owner did.

If you could trace the history of the Jeep and this package and it were restored it may be worth a bit more. But in the eyes of the market a Jeep is a Jeep for the most part. Models dont add much if any value.

Thanks to WHATROAD for teaching me most of that.

Last edited:
I have never heard of a Desert King package and went back through my reference materials just to make sure. Jeep offered the Tuxedo Park , Renegade , Golden Eagle , Laredo , and even a Super Jeep (in 1973, although I’ve never knowingly seen one) on CJs but found no Desert King. I have to agree that it may have been a local dealer trying to drum up a reason to charge more. (If I’m wrong please post your reference so I can update my facts.)

there is no FACTORY option of a Desert King

that does not mean that there was not a dealer who put a few options on one and called it desert king
or that some owner did it

I badge mine" Limited Baja Edition " just because. I love to hear guys tell me about the Limited Baja Edition their father had and how it was the most b *** jeep they ever rode in. My wife says I am wicked but has told me she has been stopped at the grocery store and had someone tell her the same story whn getting in or out of the Jeep and she just smiles.

we have a section here on the forum with all the specials that are official factory options listed and described

good luck

I am about to introduce the world to the 1977 CJ5 "Red River edition". :D

I have a special 1977 only "Diamond Jubilee Red River Longhorn Desert King Texas California" edition and it can be yours for $20,000 as is. I assure you it is the only "Diamond Jubilee Red River Longhorn Desert King Texas California" edition ever made and i will sign a paper swearing to that fact.

Will you put that on single , double or triple ply paper? It really does make a difference. :D

I have a special 1977 only "Diamond Jubilee Red River Longhorn Desert King Texas California" edition and it can be yours for $20,000 as is. I assure you it is the only "Diamond Jubilee Red River Longhorn Desert King Texas California" edition ever made and i will sign a paper swearing to that fact.

I'll witness it for a grand.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom