Just call me Busa-less Dave

Just call me Busa-less Dave

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
I can't believe I did it but it's gone. I sold my Hayabusa. This spring I bought a Harley.
Here's a link: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f70/i-bought-harley-davidson-22427/
I don't have enough time to ride 2 motorcycles. I haven't been riding the Busa much.
I always knew this day would come. I always knew I would get a big touring bike when I got older. Replacing the Hayabusa with a Harley is a definitive sign of getting old.

I have had motorcycles for longer than I've owned cars. Most of my cycles have been sport touring. In 2004 I bought the Hayabusa. This bike is ultra-performance. Back in the '80s and '90s. There was a speed war with motorcycles. Each year a different motorcycle company would come out with a motorcycle that would be the fastest motorcycle in the world. The Hayabusa ended the motorcycle speed wars. When the Hayabusa came out in 1999 it would go 200 mph. The public was didn't think any motorcycle should go that fast. When it looked like the government would prohibit high speed motorcycles Suzuki and all other motorcycle manufactures voluntarily Limited motorcycles to go no more than 186 MPH (300 KPH). As if that's much safer than going 200 mph. The cycle manufacturers knew if the government set laws it would be much lower than 186 mph.
Busa_zpsafefc547.jpg
I have had a great time on this bike. I was sad to see it go.
Check out this video to see what the Hayabusa is all about.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Busa015_zps2d30819a.jpg
Busa013_zps7a9aff3a.jpg
Busa-BlueSky_zpsd8b676c9.jpg

I know this type of motorcycle doesn't appeal to many of you. It's a far cry from rock crawling.

Does this mean you get/want to change your avatar name??:laugh:

Sad day indeed. Like you i have been riding sportbikes for 25 years and i am a trackday rider for the past ten years. At 43 i still own a new gsxr750 and an older gsxr600 fully prepped race bike. With two young kids i do not ride the street much but i refuse to give up altogether so i still hit the track when time allows. I actually took the plates off the bike this year to save the insurance money for the scrambler build. Now i am not a harley fan because i cant get past how they tossed Eric Buell to the curb without warning (whole separate conversation) but i do want to get a two up friendly ride for the street next summer and ditch the 750. You are not getting old. Just changing your chances of surviving your motorcycle career.

Damn Dave, guess I won't get to drive the Busa when I hit Co.

When you get south the FZRR is waiting! It needs to be driven, unfortunately I cant take it out like before.

I hope it went to a good home! :D

I sold my Hayabusa. This spring I bought a Harley.

this, makes me sad, but not too sad, its understandable.

this, is unacceptable ;) lol gotta mess with the harley guys, good luck dave :chug:

Wow Dave, am almost speechless . Had heard you sold your Busa, but seeing it posted still leaves me stunned. It can be hard to choose- but aaaaahhhh, times change, don't they?

Wow Dave, am almost speechless . Had heard you sold your Busa, but seeing it posted still leaves me stunned. It can be hard to choose- but aaaaahhhh, times change, don't they?
I've always been a cycle rider. There was one time that I didn't have a cycle to ride. When I was married I had a 1984 Yamaha FJ1100
fj6.jpg

Now that was a great bike. Was . . . I killed a deer on that bike.
One morning riding to work. I was on the highway going to work. I was going 65 mph on a gradual right turn. A deer ran out of the right ditch. I nailed it in the neck. I remember it's eye bugging out and I knew it was thinking "I'm going to die now!" I hit hard. If it was a smaller animal such as a dog, it would have hit the front tire and I wouldn't have been able to stay up. If I would have been on a Harley or any other bike that is more upright, I would have went over the handelbars. But I was on a sport bike. There was a lot of force but it was all strait back. I braced myself on the handlebars. The deer smashed my fairing into the front fork. I stopped the bike on the left shoulder. Luckily there was no one coming.

I got a police report. I got an estimate. I brought it all back to my insurance agent who told me "you don't have full coverage"
What the fricken, ucken, fuken ech did you say? ! ?
I was late on a payment and when they reinstated my insurance they didn't give me full coverage I've always had full coverage but since there wasn't any loan on the bike anymore they switched me to liability only, without asking me.

I went 2 years before getting a cycle again. In the mean time I was buying diapers, baby food and toys. I guess married life causes such unreasonable thinking.

Last edited:
I did the same but stuck with Suzuki and don't feel like an old man on this M109R. Big fat cruiser but have been to 150 MPH on this torquey beast
IMG_0503.JPG.jpg

So, you walked away? What a great & and awful story. Yes, married life causes us to make sacrifices that no rational person should have to... Hope that deer ended up in the freezer ;-)

I sold off a bunch of cool old bikes recently...GPz1100, CB1100F, KZ1000J, Vmax, RC51, ZX12...But the one that was hardest to sell was my '82 Katana 1000.

Good luck with the cruisers - still have my shovelhead, but not sure for how long. I've gone back to the dirt on an older retired Paris-Dakar KTM.

az2010%20145-L.jpg

I think he was going so fast that he just blew right through it ;)

Please forgive me if for the hijack, but a few years back when I was doing *a lot* of exploring on a motorcycle, I was riding back home to TN from Antelope Wells, NM - the Mexico border on the southern end of the Continental Divide. In fact, I had ridden from Roosville, MT on the Canadian border all along the CD to the Mexican border, and had intercepted the TransAm Trail up in Trinidad, NM to ride back home on more dirt roads. The whole trip was about 7,000 miles and took me nearly a month from door to door.

While I was crossing Oklahoma, on the Osage Reservation, I hit a deer with the bike I was riding on that adventure - a KTM 640 Adventure. Unfortunately, it died, but the bike suffered little body damage. We didn't go down. A few years prior to that, I hit a deer up near West Point, NY on my '95 FZR1000. That bike didn't go down either, but it cost a pile of cash to fix all the bodywork.

Anyway, on this trip, soon after the incident a reservation LEO happened along, and we loaded the carcass into his truck for processing for the locals. As sad as the situation was, at least it didn't go to waste.

If the pic is offensive, I'll surely delete it. The point is, deer strikes seem pretty common, and I'm glad you weren't hurt.

cd%20989-M.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks