Just swapped my first 258, fuel delivery issue

Just swapped my first 258, fuel delivery issue

darnkid

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82cj7
So, in my rebuild, I had to replace the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l in my jeep. The engine came out of an old CJ5 , don't know the year on the engine. I believe I reused the fuel pump off my 82, and we got a new clear fuel filter. When we started up the engine, the fuel filter got dribbles of fuel. The engine ran fine, but fuel would sputter into the filter. Anyway, during the test drive, the engine would sputter whenever there was a load on the engine at low rpm. e.g. when trying to start moving without burning the :dung: out of the clutch.

Could this be the fuel pump? because I don't know what else it could be. theres a two bbl high altitude carb and I don't know the engine year...if it's needed I'll need to know how to figure that out

Last edited:
Check fuel pressure.. How long did your jeep sit for. It may also have dirt/ debris, or :dung: in the lines or clogged line. Maybe a line got kinked when swapping. I would try to undo the lines on each end and blow high pressure ait through it. IF the line flows free I would swap fuel pumps. Could there be a filter in the carb thats clogged?

Is the carb a computer controlled one?

A few list of what you have done, what years and models would be really helpful

Im having the same problem in my '85/ AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I thought I had it when I found my fuel pump was leaking, and I threw a filter at it for good measure, but still same. Im about to verify mixture/engine timing as some folks in CA get pretty creative in getting their cars to pass emissions checks. Ill let you know if I have any luck.

yeah I didn't see that till this morning, but I'm thinking it's either the electric choke not working or the fact that the fuel filter doesn't have a spot for the fuel return line, I already ordered a new electric choke, so I'll try that first, then I'll get a new fuel filter, then a new fuel pump...I'll try to remember to let you know what happens

it was the fuel filter. before only had one in, one out. New has one in, two out. part number 33040

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom