Leaky Head Gasket??

Leaky Head Gasket??

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
My project has an engine oil leak on the right front side of the engine. At first I thought it might be the valve cover, but I cleaned the engine and the leak appears (I THINK) to be coming from farther down by the seam between the head and the block. The PO supposedly replaced the head gasket a few years ago.

Is it possible that a leaky head gasket would seep oil onto the block in the area around the water pump and the alternator? I changed the oil and there was no coolant in the oil.

BTW: I found that the valve cover bolts were not torqued correctly, which makes me wonder if the head bolts could also be loose...

The easiest way I have discovered to diagnose an oil leak with 100% accurate results, and no mess is.............fluorescent leak detector. You can add it anywhere you suspect a leak, oil, coolant, p.s., a.c., anywhere. Run the engine, and hit it with a uv light, and presto, leak identified:D

The easiest way I have discovered to diagnose an oil leak with 100% accurate results, and no mess is.............fluorescent leak detector. You can add it anywhere you suspect a leak, oil, coolant, p.s., a.c., anywhere. Run the engine, and hit it with a uv light, and presto, leak identified:D

Oh yea, that fluroescent dye is great.

I was just trying to figure whether a improperly torqued head would leak oil or coolant...

Improper torque can lead to both leaks. However,in my experience, their usually a reason head bolts lose their torque. Overheating, stretched bolts or even a cheap gasket can lead to premature failure. Do not overlook the original owners reason for replacing it to begin with. I always check heads for straightness before replacing the head gasket. If they slammed a gasket on for overheating and did not check the head surface, that is going to require a proper repair by you. Now, I have cheated on my own stuff by re-torquing the head bolts, but that is a patch, not a repair.

Improper torque can lead to both leaks. However,in my experience, their usually a reason head bolts lose their torque. Overheating, stretched bolts or even a cheap gasket can lead to premature failure. Do not overlook the original owners reason for replacing it to begin with. I always check heads for straightness before replacing the head gasket. If they slammed a gasket on for overheating and did not check the head surface, that is going to require a proper repair by you. Now, I have cheated on my own stuff by re-torquing the head bolts, but that is a patch, not a repair.

Well, the only way I am going to be able to see anything is to take the alternator off and root around on that side of the engine. It's definitely leaking from someplace over there...quite a bit, actually. If it's not the head, the only other thing I can think of is maybe the timing chain cover??

You will usually run into over heating problems (cylinder blow by) with improperly torqed head bolts, before oil leaks.

If all you have is an external oil leak and no radiator or crank case contamination I doubt it will be an oil leak from the head gasket.

If all you have is an external oil leak and no radiator or crank case contamination I doubt it will be an oil leak from the head gasket.

Correct! I have replaced both the radiator coolant and the oil and there is no contamination in either one.

Bets! Bets! Place your bets! What else could it be?? All I know for sure is that a fair amount of oil is running down the right side of the motor, starting somewhere around (where I can't see it...of course...) where the alternator bolts up. It then drops down onto the front pumpkin and propeller shaft, and then is blown by the wind all over the underside of dang near everything! :eek:

Im only basing my opinion on the basic fact that there is more water passage and pressure than there is oil in the head. Also the fact that the oil is far a heavier viscosity than water is. If there was a breach big enough to allow oil to leak from the head it would be the least of your problems. The water pressure would blow by into the oil and cause a mess you would see either in the radiator, or the crankcase as milk, and It would probably happen pretty quickly at that point. I'm going to toss out a guess and say the timing chain cover. That chain is whirling around pretty good, and slinging oil all over holy hell in there, If there were any gasket breach at all, It would probably make a mess. Degrease the hell out of it with an engine cleaner and hose it off. Let it dry and run it for a few minutes and look carefully for the leak before it goes nuts and makes a mess again.

You are sure it isn't at the rocker cover right???

Im only basing my opinion on the basic fact that there is more water passage and pressure than there is oil in the head. Also the fact that the oil is far a heavier viscosity than water is. If there was a breach big enough to allow oil to leak from the head it would be the least of your problems. The water pressure would blow by into the oil and cause a mess you would see either in the radiator, or the crankcase as milk, and It would probably happen pretty quickly at that point. I'm going to toss out a guess and say the timing chain cover. That chain is whirling around pretty good, and slinging oil all over holy hell in there, If there were any gasket breach at all, It would probably make a mess. Degrease the hell out of it with an engine cleaner and hose it off. Let it dry and run it for a few minutes and look carefully for the leak before it goes nuts and makes a mess again.

As best as I can tell. I originally thought it was the rocker cover as well, but I cleaned it up pretty good and the leak sure seems to be lower down on the engine. The timing cover would definitely be a realstic possibility.

I've got to spin the alternator loose so I can get a better look at that area.

Ok, so im a lil late to this post but some great feedback here. I have replaced my valve cover and gasket, oil pan and gasket, now im on to the head gasket. I was wondering where the timing chain cover is located? maybe a pic would be great. Thanks so much

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom