Build Thread Lil' Bama Project

BamaCJ

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7
304 with 3 spd.
Still learning everything about her. I know she has 35x15's on her.
Original Paint. Slowly working on the little things.
And a '99 Chevy Silverado..with 315k miles on it. :)
Well, I am fixing to start with my project. The husband is only home every 19 days and can help me then, so this may be a slow process. I am going to do as much as I possibly can on my own though. :eek: I think that I am more nervous that I will get her apart and not figure out how to put her back together.
The photos were taken today of my "before". (I linked it to my gallery). I will get some of the interior tomorrow and post them.
Guess I had better reorganize the garage so that I have a little more room to work. Wish me luck.:rolleyes:

What are your plans for it? It looks pretty good already exept for the back hatch.

What are your plans for it? It looks pretty good already exept for the back hatch.

The back hatch is DEFINETLY getting a "makeover", it looks horrible. The "plan" is to cut out what little bit of rust is on her and repair. Take the tub off, clean up and paint frame, rhino line bottom of tub and maybe inside floor, repaint...and whatever else needs to be done. There really isn't a set plan and I know that once I start taking things off, I will probably run into more than I am prepared for, but that is part of the excitement of owning a jeep, right? :dunno:
As with any woman, I change my mind on things daily. (:eek: I know, shocking) I am looking at possibly Galaxy Gray Metallic or some sort of red metallic...but then again, I do like the white. The top will get painted and probably get new seals for all of the glass. The doors need some repair (typical cracking by the wing windows). Some people tell me I am crazy to change the blue (exterior and interior), but before I got her, I had my mind made up to make her my Alabama Jeep, and I am sticking with that (so far)...
I hope that ya'll will be here to help me when I am stuck and keep me going.

Sounds like you are about to get to know your Jeep real well. All I can say is bag and tag everything you take off and take pics of how it looked before you take it apart and don't throw anything away until you are done. I will be watching how it goes

your gettng ready to start a long process. Label everythig no matter how minute. Bag and tag all the old hardware please!!! when you remove a wire from somethig label it. Those rods under the battery take a picture, or several pictures of them. Do it on the drivers side too. Take plenty of pictures no matter how unimportant they seem. You won't believe how many timess you will go back to look at something.

Even though I don't have a plan, I do plan on bagging every little screw and taping it to the part that comes off. Thank you for the advise about labeling the wires and photographing everything (I am a photographer, so I can handle that part of it...I hope).
I think the "being scared about not being able to put her back together" has delayed me getting this going. I know with a lot of reading (on here mostly), google search and determination, I ...Can.....Do....This. (gulp).

I admire your determination, I think you'll do fine. As has been said, you'll get to know your Jeep in a whole new way.

I admire your determination, I think you'll do fine. As has been said, you'll get to know your Jeep in a whole new way.
Thanks. Probably more than I have ever thought I would. ;)

I second these remarks by Bowbender.

I have found things that need attention that I never would have even looked for before. I plan on driving the roads with my family with me and would not have known there was a frame crack without getting it all apart and flipping it over on the saw horses!

Good luck and I will be watching to see how you are doing.

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

There are some fantastic people here on this site. If you run into a problem no matter how small they will help you. I found that out when I did my rebuild.

Man Id be hard pressed to change up that color scheme especially if it has the blue interior. :cool:

Man Id be hard pressed to change up that color scheme especially if it has the blue interior. :cool:

I have heard that. ;) The PO changed out the front seats and console, but most of the rest of the interior is stock. (A few gauges replaced...now they don't al match.) Dash and door pads are in good shape. One sun visor is in good shape and the back seat...has seen better days.

I am going to try find time today to take photos of the motor and interior. Working on a project in my son's room, so it has taken up my time. The husband will be home this weekend, for a few days, so hopefully we can take the top off and I can start working on it. My brother in law (who is helpng with the welding) is on a job in Virginia for a few weeks, so the body work will be delayed a bit.

Anyone think that I can do this and have her running for the nice late spring/summer weather? That is my goal anyhow...

THANK YOU !!
I said I was going to cry when she paints it !! :)

But seriously, your build will be awesome.
There's no time for self doubt when you have a garage full of Jeep bits and four months to get her back together :eek: :D

Bama,

It sounds like you are heading for a lot of fun! If you guys need any help or have any questions feel free to give me a shout. I am just up the road in Arnold and as you know I just finish my restoration last year. It was my first restoration and to tell you the truth I am getting the itch to do another one. It sure does give you confidence and a great sense of accomplishment. When you get a chance post some pics of the progress!!!! :chug:

We like pics and you will get tons of help from everyone on here, I did. They helped me many times.:)

Well like I said if you guys get stuck or need some help just send me a message!

Thanks Renegade . I have been so busy lately, I haven't had a chance to get anything done on her. Plan was to have her done by spring, but now its looking like getting the mechanical stuff out of the way and then when the weather is cold again, do the body. I want to make sure that, mechanically she is running perfect.
One of these days I would like to see your Jeep in person. She is beautuful in the pics.
There is a "bike run" in April (any vehicle can join) as a fundraiser for an 12 yr old boy here who is battling Luekemia. He has been hospitalized since New Years. Money raised will go to his family to help with travel and expenses. I think it is $10 plus $5 for passengers. Wpuld be cool to get a bunch of Jeeps together to do it. (About 100 miles). I don't know many though. .lol.
Anyway, I hope to be on here more...and with updates! Thanks again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom