loose wire ID please

loose wire ID please

jamesweed

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 cj-7, 258, T-5, dana 300, stock diffs; 1967 Chevy Nova 2d HT
Hi all,
Im trying to discover what these loose wires are for in my recently purchased 85 CJ7 , AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , 5 spd.

Ive got what looks like a relay, bosch printed on the side, screwed to the upper area of the floor board next to the fuse block. The wires are two red, one red/white, and a black ground.

The other is a loose wire from the distributor, red/white that has a circular pin connector.

This jeep is all stock, The 4 wheel dr indicator light doesnt work so maybe for that relay, and it runs like :dung: until it gets to absolute normal op temp. even on warm summer days.

Thnx for yallz input!

Not sure... Take some pictures of them, that may help someone id better :cool:

~ JR

I don't think you have a 4wd light unless you have an automatic Transmission .:cool:

yeah I just found two more of these relay/or whatever they are thingies in the harness on the engine side of the firewall. I dont know if 4wd light is supposed to be operative in a man. Transmission cj. I just remember the wrangler I used to have was a 5 spd and had a 4wd light. There is one in the speedo of this jeep. I just found out that my electric choke isnt working either. Ill post a pic when I figure out how to do so thx!

here are pics, correction that other wire is from coil not distributor, the pics are sideways here.

That is not factory. You need to trace each wire, tell us what they spliced into an what terminal number on the relay they go to.

here are pics, correction that other wire is from coil not distributor, the pics are sideways here.

The 2nd pic, of the red wire off the ign coil , does it run without this hooked up?

2nd question about same wire: does your CJ have a tachometer? Does it work :cool:

If everything is working, the jeep runs good, tach works etc, and you've searched for the wires "mate" all around where it can bend and reach to with no luck, you can either remove it remembering where it was just in case, tie it up nice with tape making sure it wont accidentally contact anything and fry your coil up.

Not sure about the 1st pic either, assume best option is CJ's advise. Start tracking to see where it goes to. Once you find that you can probably figure out what it's for easily, but if not snap another photo and post it up man...

:chug:

Last edited:
the one from the distributor is for a tachometer.

I thought it was two different issues. It does not look like it is connected to anything.:cool:

But? Connected to a relay? Why?

thanks all for your thoughts. The relay wires were just shoved up under the dash and zip tied in a knot. They are loose, not connected to anything, so I can't trace them. I think theyre factory, the wires go to a factory style connector , then through a grommet like a pass through in the firewall or floor, then they are all just cut going to nothing. Furthermore I found two more exact same relays under the hood on firewall that look like OG equipment.

The coil wire is another issue completely, I have an aftermarket tach installed on the green wire and it works fine. this wire is red/white.

All this is born from me trying to figue out why my engine runs poorly at low rpm just starting from a stop. Just looking for obviuos things that could cause a problem.

~~~ The relay wires were just shoved up under the dash and zip tied in a knot. They are loose, not connected to anything, so I can't trace them. I think theyre factory, the wires go to a factory style connector , then through a grommet like a pass through in the firewall or floor, then they are all just cut going to nothing. Furthermore I found two more exact same relays under the hood on firewall that look like OG equipment. ~~~
Per the pics you posted that is not original wiring. Jeep did not use those relays or those type of connectors. If they are not connected to anything then you can safely cut them out.

Did you hand trace the loose wire by the coil? Where did it end up.

I highly doubt that a wiring issue is the problem with your CJ running poorly at low RPM. Can you describe the problem?

yeah CJ,
I couldnt find anything close to that wire from the dist. Its only a few inches long so pretty straight fwd. The PO I believe had lotsa extra lights on top of windshield frame and bumper at one time. Lotsa dead wires going to there. I'll post a thread in drivetrain forum about the engine.
Cheers.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom