Loud Starter Sound

Loud Starter Sound

Rust Bucket

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'75 CJ5 304 3 speed, '12 GMC Terrain, '07 F-150
My starter works fine about 60% of the time. Other times, I turn the key and hear an EXTREMELY loud grinding sound. There doesn't seem to be a pattern and it only does it a few times, then starts like a champ. Any ideas????

Most likely, the bendix is sticking and not engaging the flywheel fully. Another possibility is a chipped/broken tooth on the flywheel or bendix.

Most likely, the bendix is sticking and not engaging the flywheel fully. Another possibility is a chipped/broken tooth on the flywheel or bendix.

yep that pretty much covers it. pop your starter off and inspect the flywheel all around next time that it happens. and you can have the starter tested at your FLAPS.

The bendix can be replaced by people who want to tear apart the starter, I did it once and decide it was just easier and better to buy a replacement starter. I'm lazy... :)

The Bendix can be replaced, but its easier to just pick up a new starter for a few $$ more. Then you can get a warranty for it...

Agree with CJ, if it is the bendix, and an old starter, it's better to just replace the whole thing. But do take a good look at the flywheel.

Looking back, that was my first "mechanic" job. My dad bought a rebuilt starter for a 1938 Chevrolet and asked me to swap them out. I was about 13 at the time, and remember I was damn proud that he thought I could do it without him around, and that I did it!

i work at a parts store. a lifetime one is like $46. well worth the warrenty.

Now I'll toss this little gem in the mix. Do the work as soon as possible when you start hearing that kind of starter / grinding/ tearing noise. The bendix is not kicking the little star gear all the way into the ring gear on the flywheel. If you're not lucky, it can and will clip the corners of the ring gear teeth off and cause you to have to tear the whole mess down to pull the flywheel and replcae the ring. :mad: Which brings the suck X10.

Damn, I didn't want that "little Gem" of knowledge. I have no idea how long it's been doing this, since I just bought it a couple of months ago and just recently got it running again. I guess this could be a much bigger job than originally planned!

Thanks all!

Damn, I didn't want that "little Gem" of knowledge. I have no idea how long it's been doing this, since I just bought it a couple of months ago and just recently got it running again. I guess this could be a much bigger job than originally planned!

Thanks all!
I bet it's not a big problem... A bendix (rebuilt starter) and you'll be most likely on your way... :)

Nah, It's usually not a big deal, but left to grind away, it can be. The starters are just about dirt cheap, easy to replace, and when It's out you can look right in there to see what the ring gear looks like. The point being, never let little things go because they can bite you in the <-BAD WORD-> later on!:censored:

Well, here's hoping for an easy swap.

Is it pretty easy to tell if the ring gear has been damaged?

I've replaced a starter before, but honestly didn't even look at the gear's wear or condition. Plus, it was on a car I was selling and really didn't care what condition the gear was in. :D

yeah, not much to a starter swap, whie it's out just stick your finger in the hole and feel the edge of the ring gear. It's most likely just fine, but not something you want to let keep digging away itself. I have seen them trashed out pretty bad from people just letting it go. In a pinch, I have just pulled the flywheel, heated the ring to pop it off, then flipped it over to use the other side.:D

As usual Day late and question already answered and I have nothing to add just wanted to be included in this thread :laugh:
seriously though I wish every project was as simple as swapping out a starter
And like Dalefan said lifetime warranty.

And like Dalefan said lifetime warranty.

I buy a lot of my stuff from auto zone because of that. I've never had any trouble getting a replacement from them even when the part was covered in dirt.

I buy a lot of my stuff from auto zone because of that. I've never had any trouble getting a replacement from them even when the part was covered in dirt.

yep at advance we bench test it and if it is bad we just give you a new one. i buy everything with a life time warrenty.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom