Manual Choke Question?

Manual Choke Question?

phinleft

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ7, Amc 304 V8 - AMC 20, DANA 30, Quadratra Trac TH400, 35" Mickey Thompsons MTZPainted LSU Yellow/Gold. Modified with 4bl Edelbrock Carb.
I have rebuilt the carter yf on my 76 CJ5 with lots of help from all of you. I am still having problems with the choke. It doesn't seem to work correctly. The choke plate opens all the way, and the engine will stall. I have searched for leaks with carb cleaner, but have had no success finding one. I even had a friend with a smoke machine help. We were unsuccessful. If I use the rich/lean adjustment on the thermostat, and close the plate very slightly, it runs great! Idles at 500 - 600 rpm's as long as I continue to adjust it. The mixture pin is out 1 1/2 to 2 turns.

I want to install a manual choke. I assume controlling the opening on the choke myself would solve my problems, as I can't find another solution. Is this a good solution in your opinions?

I am going to order a manual choke kit from a local auto part store. How hard is it to install, and is there anything I should look for or keep in mind?

Thanks to all in advance!

What color are your spark plugs? It sounds like you are running lean and might need to screw your idle screws out more (1.5-2 turns is only a starting point you have to adjust to what your engine wants) :chug:

Plugs are brand new (as in a week). Being lean, I would have to adjust the mixture screw more in or out? Will I hear or see a difference in the mixture screw adjustment, like when you set the idle screw? Isn't it better to do when the engine is warm. I am still learning.

Manual Choke

I think we have been thru this before...

To manually choke someone, you must wrap your hands around their neck, then apply pressure by squeezing as tightly as you can, cutting off their air supply....

My mother in law has been here all week.... any questions?

I think we have been thru this before...

To manually choke someone, you must wrap your hands around their neck, then apply pressure by squeezing as tightly as you can, cutting off their air supply....

My mother in law has been here all week.... any questions?

lmao :laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom