Mechanical Gauges

Mechanical Gauges

justinfonder

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 258 w/ clifford intake and holley 4bbl/T-176/D300. 32x11.50s
Wasnt sure which section of the forum to put this in but figure this would be a start.

I want to install mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges in my CJ5 and not real sure how to go about doing so. i'm putting in a custom dash and dont like the factory gauges and the reading i've been doing seems mechanical are much more accurate. does anyone have a step by step, fool-proof method of doing this? or can point me to a site or post that does. i tried to install a mechanical water temp gauge when i first bought it and the probe was too large for the hole in the engine (top drivers side near the firewall), where the factory electrical sensor is located. i've been deployed since this failed attempt so i want to make sure and have my ducks in a row when i get home to do the install. thanks guys

Last edited:
The only mechanical gauge I would recommend would be for oil pressure. I replaced both these with auto gauge and the only problem I had was that the volt meter is deeper than the stock, I had to heat the defrost duct with a heat gun and "re form" it a little for clearance. There are a couple of places in the side of the block you can put your water temp sensor , it won't give you cylinder head water temp, but the sensor will more than likely fit.:D

I used a mechanical water temp gauge and installed the probe at the rear of the head where the stock one was located.....must have been a different brand then you tried to install.

I used a mechanical water temp gauge and installed the probe at the rear of the head where the stock one was located.....must have been a different brand then you tried to install.

Hey there- I know this is an old thread, but do you have any idea where you found the mechanical temp gauge that fit your stock hole? I'm trying to do the same and everything I've read says nothing will fit right...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom