Military Models

Military Models

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
The Bantam Jeep

bantam_brc_40.jpg

bantam_brc.jpg

In 1941 American Bantam Car Co. produced 1500 BRC-40s to the military for testing. Identifying characteristics of the BRC-40 are a two piece windshield , flat slat style grill , and the headlights recessed into the fenders. The first picture is a BRC-40. The 2nd pic is the first "Jeep" ever produced, Bantams first prototype.

The GP,MB and GPW

navy.jpg

1942_mb.jpg

American Bantam was deemed too small a company to handle the military contract. They were awarded the production of the military trailers that would be towed behind their own design. Ford and Willys would both produce the 1/4 ton Jeeps. The Ford model was designated the GP. Headlights under the hood protected by a welded slat style steel grill are signatures of the GP. Early on the Ford script could be found on the left rear of the body tub.

navy_2.jpg

air_force_jeep_3.jpg

After Willys met is production quota of 1500 for its 1st contract the military took on a second order of an improved 1/4 ton model , the MB. Willys models incorporate a grill that used welded flat bar stock. Like its Ford counterpart early models had the willys script on the left rear of the body tub. The Mb would be produced till 1950.
willys-jeep.jpg

mo_jeep.jpg

As World War II went on the government wanted to standardize the two models making all parts interchangeable between the two companies. The Ford produced models would now be the "GPW" while the Willys model would be the "MB". Script of both companies names were eliminated from the body. A standard stamped steel grill was also incorporated.

The M38

tannehill_2007_0021.jpg

m38shorepatroldisplay.jpg
100_0250c.jpg

The M38 model was slightly larger than the MB. There were also other significant differences. The fuel filler was now located outside the body instead of under the driver seat. The M38 also had a 1 piece windshield as well as protruding headlights and a seven slot grill.

The M38A1

marine_jeep_2.jpg
m38a8.jpg

_432216.jpg

3083.jpg

In 1952 Willys Overland ( as it was now called ) began production of the M38a1 model for the military. The M38a1 received the hurricane f head 4 cyl. Other distinguishing characteristics were a narrower front bumper , hinged front grill and round fenders.

The M-170
m_tc_170.jpg
m-170.jpg

m170-amb.jpg

_403088.jpg

The M-170 model was used commonly used as a ambulance or radio truck. It was a variant of the M38a. The body is 20 inches longer and it was produced from '53 to '63. The passenger side door was u shaped and wide to ease loading and unloading of patients and radio equipment. The M-70 also had a stronger suspension and was capable of carrying 3 litters.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks