Misc. millions of questions

Misc. millions of questions

Rustkill

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7 258 engine.
Hello all, I have a bunch of questions and I thought maybe I would just ask them all here in one post. If I should be asking each question in a separate post then I am sorry.

Thank you for any help. When answering can you let me know what price is fair/ who has it for a fair price and so on? 1985 CJ7 /285 going back Olympic white -- pretty sure.

I have read some post by others but a some of them are a few years old.

I posted in the build section the Jeep coming apart

Question 1 (windshield frame)

In 2024 where is the best place to get windshield frame for 85 CJ. I really want the single bead windshield; I have a double bead but I just don’t like it. I know it’s there for more strength. The single bead is correct..

I know their ones that the bolts holes don’t line up. Where to check? If I have to get a double bead i could have it cut and patched maybe.

(Link)-> Replacement Windshield Frame 5010 -<

I think some places show a pic of a single bead windshield but when you get it has a double bead.

Question 2 (carpet)

Who reproduces a good quality complete carpet set? with a backing for more noise reduction?

As anyone used these companies?

(Link)-> Replacement Carpet & Vinyl Flooring - Automotive Interiors -<

(Link)-> 76-86 Jeep CJ-7 / CJ7 Original Cutpile Molded Carpet Kit *Made in USA* | eBay -<

or point me in better direction the ebay one seems pretty high priced?

Question 3 (hard doors)

Who has a good quality door seal kit

I have the fixed vent paddle doors. I was thinking about converting to vents that open but would need new seals kit either way.

Maybe also hardtop window seals

Seems there are also people that making the piece for the door to match the top but maybe some are not correct? ( texture)

Question 4 (L.E.D light bulbs) for dash

Would like to replace the dash lights with LED bulb that are close in color but brighter that oem lights. I see lots of options some on amazon but what is correct

Question 5 ( decals)

Who makes the best decal? To wrap jeep

Seems they are around 350.00 and lots of people make them. Blue strips

Question 6 ( ac)

Going to install an aftermarket ac unit to the jeep jeepair? or someone else to check out?

I noticed in a few pictures that you have to mount the condenser in the jeep in front to the radiator and I didn’t like the way it looked. didn’t like the brackets you could see through the gill…if the Jeep would have had the ac Oem was the condenser still installed like that or was it build in conjunction with the radiator? If there even such a thing. I know I sound stupid.

Question 7 (gauges)

I am upgrading to a clock and tach. It seems the crowns ones sucks but I don’t see other great options looking at speedhut. I want OEM look.

Getting a new dash from Double D fabrication need to make up my mind what brand so the holes are cut correctly. I may just have to go with crown and hope. Don’t want the sizes to be to large. I may just go with the cheap crown junk hmmmmmm

Question 8 (body mounts and screws)

Will need new body mounts I thinking rubber would be best for ride but poly is last longer?

Something like this? Don’t want to have a rough ride.

(Link)-> Body Mount Master Kit, 1979-1986, Jeep CJ-5, CJ-7, & CJ-8 -<

and has anyone used these complete screw kit ??

Omix Body Fastener Kit Hard Top 76-86 Jeep CJ7

Better option? Price

Question 9 ( cj to Yj spring conversion)

I am going to do the conversion for a smoother ride on the road. Who as good guilty springs and the front conversion ? For a reasonable price will not be off roading and I don’t want a lift !!!

question 10 can you powder coat the air cleaner? will it hold up with the heat?
think I am going to powder coat the frame / spare tire rack / what else ?

thanks for any help pointing me to good stuff

There's a lot there I'll answer a few. As far as graphics Phoenix graphics is the only one I'd use.

Powder coating is baked on at 400⁰ so it will hold up just fine on the air cleaner.

I would avoid anything omix ada period

Speed hut is great for gauges but pricey.

Although I've never used them for Jeeps (only muscle cars) try pui for carpet

As far as AC try vintage aire

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Here's some screenshots b6266e7fd867e4faee801f792cae4c04.jpg1d2393aa21ae9219d62151649ff1e4aa.jpg96bff4f38ce75d0305e4742376fe90dc.jpg

Attachments

• b6266e7fd867e4faee801f792cae4c04.jpg
    b6266e7fd867e4faee801f792cae4c04.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1d2393aa21ae9219d62151649ff1e4aa.jpg
    1d2393aa21ae9219d62151649ff1e4aa.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1
For the body mount bushings, you're right that rubber is a bit better for ride quality; but the poly hold up better and that's all I'd use. I believe the difference in cushioning is too little to really notice that much as a trade-off for the longevity of the poly bushings. When you get a set of bushings, make sure you also get the metal inserts and new stainless bolts with them. I use the Prothane set. I also used them for my spring and sway bar bushings as well.

As for the AC condenser, that's how they mount - in front of the radiator. It is not built into the radiator like a tranny cooler might be. You can get different sizes/shapes of condensers, but you will see it through the grill. Maybe a different type would be more aesthetic. Or perhaps one option is a grill screen to block that view?

speed hut gauges are great, come with dimmable lights in them and they are bright, i have them and love them

i would do a stainless bolt kit from Kentrol

Second the feedback on Speedhut gauges. They look great and numerous positive reviews. I have the Dakota Digital and love them. Also quite bright, dimmable lights, numerous options, and can interface to other devices if/when desired. I use the BIM interface to read data from my ECM and display in the gauge's info window.

Door Seals:
I used the Crown Automotive seals to rebuild my older generation doors. The only thing I couldnt seem to find at the time was anyone that had the vent glass seal. As far as the crown auto seals themselves were, everything fit as it should and was either sold as one big kit with pretty much every seal in the jeep down to only the ones you need. Price wise the kit was the way to go for me as I needed way more than the doors. My jeep hasnt really seen much use and abuse or time outside since I have been rebuilding so cant speak to the longevity of the material yet, seems like decent quality.

I was looking back to see where I bought mine, cant find it but pretty sure I got it from JustJeeps.com in Canada.

I did see this kit on their site when I was checking, no vent seals.. sold separately but they do have them as well in the Fairchild brand.

1706043830749.png

Last edited:
I've used steel rubber products in the past on restorations. Not sure what they have for Jeeps but they make great products

I'd say so. Most sand blasting is 150.00 an hour

Question 3; hard doors and vent windows. The fixed window seals are not reproduced by anyone that I've ever found, and I've looked for 10+ years. Swapping them to movable vent windows is not a simple process, it involves cutting the doors and needing to add a rolled seam.

Question 4; LEDs, I did a full interior and exterior LED swap, interior is pretty straight forward, I used this site (Link)-> 1980 Jeep CJ7 LED Lights | Super Bright LEDs -< to find what sizes I needed.

Question 3; hard doors and vent windows. The fixed window seals are not reproduced by anyone that I've ever found, and I've looked for 10+ years. Swapping them to movable vent windows is not a simple process, it involves cutting the doors and needing to add a rolled seam.
I couldnt find the fixed vent windows either but it seems here they are > (Link)-> Fairchild Industries Vent Window Seal for 72-86 Jeep CJ with Fixed Windows D416- -<

BTW - removing and replacing these are not an easy task and you need strong fingers, lots of soapy water and patience.... and of course a rubber mallet :)

you got that right! ^^

and If you thought taking them out was hard wait until you put them back in... that is where the sweating and cursing really begins. I can almost guarantee if you make it through you will do a victory dance in your garage!
And never do a set ever again

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks