Moab and Rubicon. 2017.

Moab and Rubicon. 2017.

Greenwithenvy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79' CJ7, 401 AMC, T18, D20, D44, D44.
I know this is early, but wondering who is planing to go to EJS in 2017? I have been to Moab before, but never to EJS. Also, wanting to run the Rubicon after EJS. Depending on the snow this coming spring. I have to start planning now to have enough money saved up for the trip. Would be great to see some of you in my travels!

If my jeep and pocketbook is willing and the snow is mostly gone, I'll meet you on the Rubicon with another old CJ5 too.

But I've hit it with snow and ice and can tell you I don't think my rear-end gaskets can take it again, and no - not talking about the jeep's rear end...

:D

If my jeep and pocketbook is willing and the snow is mostly gone, I'll meet you on the Rubicon with another old CJ5 too.

But I've hit it with snow and ice and can tell you I don't think my rear-end gaskets can take it again, and no - not talking about the jeep's rear end...

:D

That would be great! Not the rear gaskets!! It's been a dream to run the Rubicon for a long time. What time of year did you run it? I just want to beat the summer crowds!

Depending on weather and the snow pack, May is questionable, June can usually be safe, and July is better - weather wise.

Now I know you said want to avoid the summer crowd - here's a few pointers:

1 - Holiday weekends (memorial day, july 4th, etc) and Jeeper's Jam weekends / weeks are nuts... I avoid them if possible, or just plan on lots of traffic and frequent pit-stops. Jeepers Jam weeks the trail is actually closed if you haven't paid them for a spot on the trail ride - they "own" it during that time.

2 - The Rubicon is not a trail to take alone. Things break and people get stranded every day. The good thing about crowds is 99% of the people on the trail will stop, help you fix, give you spare parts, use their on-board welder, or tow you to the exits or the springs for more knarly repair needs. At worst care, you can usually catch a ride out and back to your rig with the parts you need.

3 - In addition, injuries from roll-overs and other accidents (snake bites etc) are so much more dangerous as the only way to get to a hospital is to exit on the Tahoe side and Jam at least a 1/2 Hour either way along the windy lakeside highway / road, or exit the loon lake side and take a hour to get down the mountain, and then go back into placerville, ca (another 1/2 hour at best). Alternatively most people who run the Rubicon have HAM radios and program them to the local repeaters to call for emergency airlift services (ambulances are not getting to you...) This (without some very good and reasonable airlift insurance policies) could bankrupt a normal person in expenses, but broke or dead - I chose broke... Remember - this doesn't count the time you need to actually get to a exit on the trail, or a spot a helicopter can reach you.

4 - Sometimes traffic Jams occur (we call them trail-tampons :cool: ), and they provide a good chance to stop and really see the beauty of the mountains you're in. :D

Point is - I say none of this to deter you from running the trail - I love it. I also like to not have a million people on it with me as it's just not fun if it's too bad... I also, however, do not run the trail on the times of year that basically no-one else is on it, even though I always wheel it with my Uncle in his CJ5 too. It's a fine line... ;)

I'm going to make a Rubicon Trail ride post soon and will detail more about the what to expect, bring, and best anticipated time to run it. Hopefully I can get a few others to come out too.

:chug:

Let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks JR74CJ5! That was a great post on information needed. Hope you can guide me when I go! That would be fun to have a group from this forum run it all at the same time.

Years ago, I backpacked the John Muir Trail. Did the whole 250+miles! Climbed many of the mountain peaks at the time. Love the High Sierras!! Also lived up in the mountains out of Fresno for a while.

So, let's see how many others on this fourm we can get to go! Make it a CJ invasion 2017!

Agree 110% with JR.
The Rubi is a run that you would want 4-5 rigs with you. Not a bad idea to have a satellite phone and a GPS.
Be advised, you are also in bear country. I have had two encounters on the Rubi.
LG

Yes, last time I was in the sierras, they were a problem. But we had our food tied up high enough. After living and playing in Missoula and Lolo, MT. I carry bear spray. And not the fu fu stuff! Real grizzly bear stuff. My girlfriend in college was from Darby, MT. She had pack horses and took hunters as a guide into both the bitterroot Mountains and Charlie Daniels wilderness. I did lots of backpacking and climbing there too. We have Black bears here by my house too, and even some rattlesnakes. If you can't tell I have been an outdoor kind of guy all my life. I put most of my money working into playing in the outdoors. I have back packed most of the Pacific crest Trail, in California. Been at the top of 70+ mountians. Still have enough gear to guide myself! Traveled most of this great country except Hawaii and the deep South.

Think that is why I have had many Jeeps and 4x4s. Had to have 4x4 to play like I wanted! A friend and I in high school built my first Jeep from the frame up. 64'CJ5. Had a SBC327 350horse and a sm420 trans. I have owned 3 CJ5s, 3TJs, 1YJ, and now a CJ7. Right now I own 7 4x4s and that's after just selling 3 this month, one was a 80' CJ5 with SBC power. Always worked hard and have played harder! Some of my toys I have been saving so that when I retired I could build and sell them. Just did not count on getting sick and having to retire early. I have GBS and lost some of my motor skills. I can see that some of the projects would never get done now. It's been a fun ride and I still plan to keep right on riding!

Been a long winter here in Chelan, WA. Hope to start trying to get my CJ ready for the wheeling this year. Without a garage, I have to wait for better weather to make my repairs and updates. I have been pricing tires for my CJ7. Looks like I will be running Mickey MTZ P3s in 35 x 12.50 x 15s. Next on my list is having PSC rebuild my power steering gear box. All this I hope in time to make it to EJS in April. Hope to meet up with any of you that will be going.

I'll be making the trek out to Moab from Maryland, haven't been in 20 years. I'm right in the middle of prepping the Jeep, Motorhome and trailer. My to-do list seems to keep growing. It would be great to meet up with some more CJ owners.

I'll be making the trek out to Moab from Maryland, haven't been in 20 years. I'm right in the middle of prepping the Jeep, Motorhome and trailer. My to-do list seems to keep growing. It would be great to meet up with some more CJ owners.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure now if I can make it now or not. What can I say, life happens! I bought Two new tires this month, will buy the last Two next month. Still want to have my steering box rebuilt by PSC. My tools that I need are snowed in up at my garage on top of my mountain. Even with air lockers, and front tire chains I can't make it up there! My health keeps me from snowshoeing in. My driveway gains 2000' in 4-1/2 miles! If a miracle happens and I make it up there and also win the lottery, I will let you know! Sorry, I'm a little frustrated right now! Funny thing is, even my snowmoble is snowed in at my cabin!!!

A cabin like that sounds nice. Which mountain?

Not really a mountain. Just what I call it! The Columbia River is at the bottom of my road up to my cabin. My cabin is at the top of the gorge from the river. I have miles of wheat fields behind my property. Fun place to live and play. Lots of recreation, around the Lake Chelan area. If anyone needs a free place to camp and see what the area has to offer, you are welcome!

That's a pretty generous offer. I usually fly into Portland every summer and drive south to Eugene and Medford to visit family. There is a lot of wheat and farming up that way. I do someday want to bring my jeep out there and do some exploring. The Gorge is on my bucket list and almost did it a couple of years ago with my brother but we headed over to the Spruce Goose and the coast

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks