motor help

bigjeep

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7 258 inline 6 t176 trans with 300 case,

81 CJ7 304 v8
I have been working on my 84 CJ7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I am trying to take it back to factory. I have vacuum and wiring diagrams but cannot find how or what
the tube for the cat converter hooks to. I have a nipple on the pipe just past the manifold and 2 nipples on the breather.

is there anyone that can help?

thanks
BG

I can look at mine tomorrow when its light out and let you know.

The "smog pump" injects air into the Exh. Manifold (and maybe Cat)

Two styles, Dual Air, and Air Injection.

All fairly similar in appearance, if some parts are missing. Sounds like may be missing some.

'84 up usually equipped with "Pulse Air" system, instead of a smog pump. Determine what you have. No holes for air injection on your exhaust manifold? Do you have a tube coming out of your exhaust pipe, right below the manifold flange? Still have an underhood emissions sticker?

On Pulse Air,

There is a check valve between main tubes (exhaust side) and control valves. The Air cleaner tubes are after the control valves. This applies to the exhaust pipe, and converter pipe.

So in short: Air cleaner, elbow, air control valve, hose, check valve, pipe.

The vacuum side of the air control valves go to the air switch solenoids with a hose. They are in turn tied to a tee connection which is connected to the vacuum storage tank. I'll stop there.

Lots of parts on it. Not sure you want to go by someone else's description. Many parts are near impossible to scrounge, also.

Last edited:
I have no lines in the manifold or pump.
if I could find info on this system like parts list and photos, then I can try to find the parts

On Pulse Air,

There is a check valve between main tubes (exhaust side) and control valves. The Air cleaner tubes are after the control valves. This applies to the exhaust pipe, and converter pipe.

So in short: Air cleaner, elbow, air control valve, hose, check valve, pipe.

The vacuum side of the air control valves go to the air switch solenoids with a hose. They are in turn tied to a tee connection which is connected to the vacuum storage tank. I'll stop there.

Lots of parts on it. Not sure you want to go by someone else's description. Many parts are near impossible to scrounge, also.
This is the set up you have.

The first step is determining which system you have (had).

Do you have an emissions sticker? What are the components listed in bold?

Are you restoring the emissions equip for piece of mind, A full-blown restoration, or regulatory purposes?

The stock CJ emissions stuff did rather poorly. Upgrades of other components will usually net much better out-the-tailpipe, and performance results.

Many are CARB certified, and thus recognized by other States as an improvement over EPA standards.

if I could find info on this system like parts list and photos, then I can try to find the parts
Post a few pics of what you have, it can help us help you by determining what you have, and what you are missing.

This is the set up you have.

It's the setup he "should" have. Except...

Is it really an 83 build CJ (maybe even 82) titled in '84, with a different air cleaner, and a replaced Exhaust manifold. Most CJ's I've seen have had a manifold swapped out at least once.

Did someone do a motor swap with some emissions stuff retained, and others thrown in the heap?

I can't be sure so I won't be guessing here.

Pics and underhood sticker info can help verify some things.

i posted a few pic. if you guys need something more let me know.
as for the restoration, i want to restore it back as close factory as i can for me.

thanks for the help.

Looks like you have less than half of a Pulse Air system, to me.

EGS is your oxygen sensor, and computer controlled carb. EGR is your EGR valve, AIV is Air Induction Valve, A critical component of your "Pulse Air" system. Yours is likely rotted off, with the tube that connects it to the downstream elbow.TWC is Three Way Catalyst, a reference to the cat. converter

Finding one specific part can be daunting. All the so called "smog nazi" States scooped up what little stock of OEM, and junkyard parts was available.

Air injection is a breeze, by comparison.

High scrap metal prices of the mid- Aughts saw most of the surviving wrecks crushed. :(

I'd recommend getting a AMC factory service manual, before even thinking of starting this project. Not many components of pulse air besides the hoses and pipes can be easily tested by a home mechanic. None of it can be readily bypassed or substituted, either.

A few guys on one of the AMC Eagle forums are gurus at this sort of thing. It certainly can be done.

Most Jeepers still think EGR's and Charcoal Canisters hurt their performance and pitch those parts.

I spent a month getting my simple as pie EGR system and evaporative system functioning top-notch.

Good Luck.:)

Last edited:
Looks like you have less than half of a Pulse Air system, to me.

Finding one specific part can be daunting. All the so called "smog nazi" States scooped up what little stock of OEM, and junkyard parts was available.

High scrap metal prices of the mid- Aughts saw most of the surviving wrecks crushed. :(

I'd recomend getting a AMC factory service manual, before even thinking of starting this project. Not many components of pulse air besides the hoses and pipes can be easily tested by a home mechanic. None of it can be readily bypassed or substituted, either.

A few guys on one of the AMC Eagle forums are gurus at this sort of thing. It certainly can be done.

Most Jeepers still think EGR's and Charcoal Canisters hurt their performance and pitch those parts.

I spent a month getting my EGR system and evaporative system functioning top-notch. Pulse Air isn't worth it to me.

Good Luck.:)

ok sounds like it is not worth trying to rebuild this part?

I was wanting to restore this one back to factory for the best resell.
you guys sound like you know what you are talking about. for the best resell value, would I be better off install a new carburetor, remove the computer and patch the pipe?

ok sounds like it is not worth trying to rebuild this part?

I was wanting to restore this one back to factory for the best resell.
you guys sound like you know what you are talking about. for the best resell value, would I be better off install a new carburetor, remove the computer and patch the pipe?
Yes

Do know what you are missing? I may have what you need.

what do i need to do when unhooking the computer? any wires that need to be re-routed?

Just do the Nutter Bypass it bypasses the computer.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom