Motor Mount replacement

Motor Mount replacement

cheeky chops

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 6 cylinder, 4 speed, 258 (4.2L), Dana 30, Borg-Warner T4, Dana 300? AMC 20 or Dana 44 rear axle, not sure? 32 Super Swampers, Sems Candy (Claret) Paint, Rhino sprayin for Interior
Driverside motor mount needs to be replaced on my 1986 CJ7 and not sure if I even have the equipment to do it. Where to begin? PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

Support the engine by jacking up a floor jack under the oil pan. Then replace one side at a time.

Support the engine by jacking up a floor jack under the oil pan. Then replace one side at a time.

Exactly what Dave said. L6 or V8 (which oh by the way we don't know what you have because you didn't fill out your profile like you agreed to do when you created your account) it isn't difficult at all, I just did it last year. A floor jack and a piece of lumber is really all that you need.

Put the piece of lumber between the floor jack and the oil pan, make sure it's on the very bottom of the oil pan down by the drain, and jack it up very slowly with the hood open until you just see the engine start to raise. Now you've taken the most of the weight of the engine off of the mounts. Unbolt the mount from the engine and from the frame, one side at a time. Once you're down, lower the floor jack, all in all, less than an hour job.

Hate to say this.. But soon I'm going to restrict posting pvivs for those who choose not to follow our simple rules.

How friking hard is is it to spend a minute to fill out a profile - so we can help members? You all read the post when you all signed up for the site.

cheeky chops, this rant is not just for you... You got caught in the crossfire. Fill out your profile so WE can help YOU... :)

Sorry to waste your time. I spent 2 semesters at a community college learning to do bodywork and then painted my jeep myself. There is no class on learning about the rest, and that is when I found this cool CJ website. I didn't mean not to fill out my information. Some of it I just don't know. Thanks for the motor mount info.

You didnt waste any time but yours... :)

All we want to do is help and spread the knowledge we have. You just happened to be the one that got caught in the crossfire... :)

The info you entered in your profile is great! It allows us to edjukete ( lol ) you on your CJ

So, by the year you posted, Im betting you have a six cyl? If so you can add that to your profile. Is it a stick or an auto Transmission ? Another thing to add.

All we want to do is help, we want to keep the CJ 'spirit' alive.

:ww: to 'our' site!

Sorry to waste your time. I spent 2 semesters at a community college learning to do bodywork and then painted my jeep myself. There is no class on learning about the rest, and that is when I found this cool CJ website. I didn't mean not to fill out my information. Some of it I just don't know. Thanks for the motor mount info.

All Good Cheeky chops! Sounds great to hear you learning to repair your own stuff.:chug:
As said you got hammered a bit for a very minor issue but it's one that's been building here with many new members not filling there profile with basic info. No worries, fill out what you know and let's see how the members can help or visa versa!

OK Boys,
:) I finally got over myself, and put my big girl panties on (not really big)! Not taking it personally because I know you all are just trying to help!
So I started with the VIN # and a little googling and the only thing I'm not really sure on is the rear axle. AMC20 or Dana 44 ? How to know?
I am a sponge with the desire to learn it and do it myself. In the last few weeks w/help I changed the belts, starter, battery, rear axle seals, and rear brakes so I really hope the motor mount is not to hard. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all your help! :notworthy:

motor mounts are a walk in the park, do both while you at set up for it. Do them one at a time start to finish. loosen the hardware while the engine is still setting on the mount so you won't have to wrestle with them in the air. remove bottom nut, jack it up about half way out and remove the two top bolts. You may have to lift it just a bit higher to remove the mount and put the new one in but don't go any higher than you need to. the trick is to not change the position of the engine so everything drops down where it was. leave the top bolts loose untill everything is set back in place. this is an excellent place for lock washers and locktite. Now do the pass side. The pass side of the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is usually the first to go because you spill oil on it when you remove the filter. So it rots.:cool:

You will need a weed eater, 2 cans of whip cream, and a live chicken

OK so I forgot the chicken and the whipped cream in not for a newbie. We all remember what happened the las time.:D

You will need a weed eater, 2 cans of whip cream, and a live chicken

HAHA! NOT sure I want to know about the whip cream and live chicken!:eek:

But you all will be happy to know the motor mounts are on!!!!

Thanks for all the great tips! :ty:

ps. I didn't even break a nail!

HAHA! NOT sure I want to know about the whip cream and live chicken!:eek:

But you all will be happy to know the motor mounts are on!!!!

Thanks for all the great tips! :ty:

ps. I didn't even break a nail!
Great... That is why we want to help... :)

cheeky chops;82 But you all will be happy to know the motor mounts are on!!!! ps. I didn't even break a nail![/QUOTE said:
You must have done something wrong.:laugh:

OK Boys,
:) I finally got over myself, and put my big girl panties on (not really big)! Not taking it personally because I know you all are just trying to help!
So I started with the VIN # and a little googling and the only thing I'm not really sure on is the rear axle. AMC20 or Dana 44 ? How to know?
I am a sponge with the desire to learn it and do it myself. In the last few weeks w/help I changed the belts, starter, battery, rear axle seals, and rear brakes so I really hope the motor mount is not to hard. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all your help! :notworthy:

Jeep Parts, Jeep Tops And Jeep Acccessories

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom