My First Welding attempt to fab an exhaust for my engine swap went well.. so far

My First Welding attempt to fab an exhaust for my engine swap went well.. so far

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
Hey guys!

I am nearing the end of my (everlasting) engine swap....
After much reluctance, (fear) I decided to give it a try and fab and weld my own exhaust system.

Had some issues along the way...Like when the bolt broke off in the intake manifold. :( But I managed to drill it out and "rethread" the IM. So far its working great.

I ended up buying a kit of mandrel bent, straight and flared end 2.5" exhaust pipes off ebay. And a "Y" oe down pipe, exhaust gaskets, new bolts and exhaust clamps and walker hangers off amazon.

I just had to cut and fit each piece. The "Y" exhaust pipe came off the exhaust manifolds and united together on the passenger side where I had to cut some off so it wouldn't run into the transfercase crossmember. Then, I had to bring it through to the crossmember to the back and cross it over to the driverside to the muffler (I ended up buying a Magnaflow 3.5" and two reducers to fit it to my new exhaust).-I'm hoping this is okay and won't cause any issues since its wider diameter than the stock muffler...It sounds good...But please let me know if it's hard on the engine.

The mandrel flared exhaust pipe kit was very helpful in connecting the pieces. The flared one end allowed me to double check each ection for proper fitment. (And to make sure the pipe avoids hitting other components.) I then watched more videos on how to weld. My neighbor also stopped by and briefly showed me how to weld.... :)

I then gave it a go on my own.

To my pleasant surprise and happiness, I did okay. And the exhaust was done.... Well almost....

QUESTION:
Although I welded most of the pipes together (three easy to remove sections) I don't want to weld the muffler to the exhaust pipes so I can remove/replace easily. And I am thinking of using permatex ultra copper gasket maker and then two clamps.... Anyone think that's a good and workable idea? :0

Thanks bunches...

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but was wondering what type of welder you used ? Great job getting it done.

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but was wondering what type of welder you used ? Great job getting it done.

Hi Belizean.... Opps. Forgot to mention the welder. Lol

I borrowed my brother's Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 3200HD welder. Used gasless fluxcore wire feed too. ;)
(I think gas throws less molten balls though and is generally easier weld but can't say for certain as I don't have experience with gas.... a gas welder that is. Lol.)

Also, just wire brushed off the burrs. Also, if I did a really bad job on a spot I'd grind it down but don't like the smell of metal being ground down so left most of my "newb" welds. Then painted and threw it together. I started the jeep and only found one leak. Fixed the leak and seems good so far.

Thanks for the question. :)

Last edited:
I say good job and the clamps should work just fine.

Congrats on getting the feel for welding. If you could I would suggest going for a removable muffler, you never know when it will come in handy. That ultra copper gasket maker is designed to take up to 700 degrees F, so you should go for it anyway. Although a good u-bolt clamp setup should be fine, A little exhaust leak would be the worst that could happen. If you determine a weld up is needed, you can always do it later after a bit of practice on other stuff.

Just use the clamps.
Coat the clamps threads with copper anti-seize so you can remove them later.
Also-double nut the clamp threads so the nuts won't loosen, over time.
Good luck,
LG

I, too, just got in to the mig welding business. I had stick welded for years but needed to weld lighter material so researched mig welders. I ended up buying a Millermatic 211 for several reasons and am very glad I did. Before buying the Miller, I tried a Lincoln 130 using flux core wire. Like you, I had a lot of splatter but since my experience was with stick, I thought you just had to live with splatter. The Millermatic 211 came with a full argon tank and regulators so I hooked them up and gave it a try. What a difference!!! The welds are nice and clean and look professional. I’ll guarantee you’ll like it.

Bill-Would it be possible, to see a couple of pictures of the welds you have done with this new welder?
OLG

Congrats on getting the feel for welding. If you could I would suggest going for a removable muffler, you never know when it will come in handy. That ultra copper gasket maker is designed to take up to 700 degrees F, so you should go for it anyway. Although a good u-bolt clamp setup should be fine, A little exhaust leak would be the worst that could happen. If you determine a weld up is needed, you can always do it later after a bit of practice on other stuff.

Hey Torxhead,
Thanks for your input. I am leaning towards both the copper gasket and a clamp. I got the copper gasket material but now just have to track down large enough clamps.
Thanks. :)

Just use the clamps.
Coat the clamps threads with copper anti-seize so you can remove them later.
Also-double nut the clamp threads so the nuts won't loosen, over time.
Good luck,
LG

Hi Lumpy! Thanks for your suggestion... I may wait for the clamps then decide whether to use both or one... Like torxhead said its probably not that big of a deal. So, I will try not to over think it. ;)

So many great ideas! thanks guys!

Bill-Would it be possible, to see a couple of pictures of the welds you have done with this new welder?
OLG

Yeah Bill. Post some pics. :)

I, too, just got in to the mig welding business. I had stick welded for years but needed to weld lighter material so researched mig welders. I ended up buying a Millermatic 211 for several reasons and am very glad I did. Before buying the Miller, I tried a Lincoln 130 using flux core wire. Like you, I had a lot of splatter but since my experience was with stick, I thought you just had to live with splatter. The Millermatic 211 came with a full argon tank and regulators so I hooked them up and gave it a try. What a difference!!! The welds are nice and clean and look professional. I’ll guarantee you’ll like it.

Bill-Sounds like a nice welder... especially if it doesn't throw molten balls. Pics of some of your welds please :)

I forgot to mention that the Lincoln welder can also use gas so it would have less splatter than using the flux wire. But I didn't have any on hand.

Anyways thanks everyone for your help. :)

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks