Narrowing a d60/gm14 ff axles

Narrowing a d60/gm14 ff axles

Dano12771

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 cj7. Stock. I4,t4trans,Dana 300t-case
Does anyone know where I can find some pics of someone narrowing a d60/gm14 ff axle. Toying w/ the idea of narrowing mine. I've looked and didn't find any jeep builds w/ someone doing it. Thanks for reading.

I narrowed a HP D60 front (Monobeam) 5.5" on the long side... as well as moved the perches in. Normally people will narrow their fron 60's long side roughly 4.5" this way they can use stock axle shafts from the later 70's d60's...Some use wheel spacers to get the right wms to wms width. If you use a FF 14 from a 3/4 ton I believe those are 67" and if you do a disk brake conversion you can get a deeper offset wheel to help suck the tires in. Narrowing an axle or a set of axles is a lot of work and money and you must pay close attention with your angles etc. Wheel spacers = $... Having somebody Narrow and welding the housing will run you a little money... have shafts cut and resplined or purchasing new shafts = $ either way you go it's going to take some cash to get them done...

Try this link below... they should have some pics.
http://therockgods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8317

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Question. I understand the front axle mods but it seems that the rear 14 diff is offset around 4" as well cant I just cut the long side down to match the short side and use that stock axle length? If it matters the axles r out of a 1987 1ton 4x4 chevy truck. SRW.

Thanks for the info. Question. I understand the front axle mods but it seems that the rear 14 diff is offset around 4" as well cant I just cut the long side down to match the short side and use that stock axle length? If it matters the axles r out of a 1987 1ton 4x4 chevy truck. SRW.

As far as I know all of the 14 bolts (FF & Semi) are centered or slightly offset but not enough to have any issues.
If you have the axle take a measuring tape to it... You should keep them full width run some Hummer/Humvee rims that have that deep offset which helps to suck the tires in a little and then toss on some 6" bushwacker fender flares...

That was my initial plan. To just out board the leafs. I fig 17" wheel( not sure on the width). Maybe a 37" tire. Still feeling everything out. What's your opinion on the wheel set up?

17"s will clear about everything out there... You might want to price out tires for 17" rims... I can't recall if they're overly expensive or not. I had a Poison Spyder Outboard Kit that I sold not too long ago... Look around on the web as there are a lot of garage shops that make them and sell them for cheap compared to the big names. Wish my other computer didn't crash as I had a ton of info/sites saved on my favorites...

Yeah I've heard that about the 17" wheels, I'll def look into that. I just need to make sure I'll clear the brake caliper w/backspacing on the wheel. As for The outboard kit. I was prob. Going to make my own depending on price and material availability. Since I do work in tool And die. Thanks again fifesjeep for the great input keep it coming it's always a great thing to be able to bounce ideas off someone and get their opinion.:chug:

You can use 15" rims that have a backspacing of 2.5"... you'll need to grind the outer portion of the brake calipers BUT, she'll (the Jeep) will have a really wide stance! :chug:

I'll have to dbl chk the stock rim size on my 1 ton donar truck. I would like to get a little more bs on these axles.

Notice how far the tires stick out on the green jeep... that had 3/4 ton 8 lug axles 15" rims with 2.5" back spacing.
the red jeep had a ff 14 bolt rear and a dana 60 front that was narrowed 4.5" on the long side.

Awesome pics. Very inspirational. I think it's time to pull the trigger on this project. Looks like you have a little experience in this area(by little I mean a lot). I would love to c more pics and get some more technical info from your passed projects. Do u still have the jeeps?:notworthy:

Awesome pics. Very inspirational. I think it's time to pull the trigger on this project. Looks like you have a little experience in this area(by little I mean a lot). I would love to c more pics and get some more technical info from your passed projects. Do u still have the jeeps?:notworthy:
The red jeep i purchased from a Navy Commander.... the green one i was building and eventually parted out... ran out of money and time and uncle sam had other plans for me. Sadly enough I have deleted most of my older pics....
good pic of the 42" swampers..
Fifes149.png
this is my older boy helping me out
Fifes140.png

Dang man... these are some old pics.. lol

Didn't taking 4.5" off the long side push the diff to far center under the jeep?
No... it just pulls the knuckle in closer. But with that, you have to use wheel spacers to have the right wms to wms.

42" that's huge. Looks like u have your hands full. So u still have the red one? Also, so u just used spacers on one side to balance the wheels per side?

So u still have the red one? Also, so u just used spacers on one side to balance the wheels per side?
Nope... I sold the red one back to the guy I purchased it from... I told him if I were to sell it I would give him first dibs.
The long side was cut down 4.5"... this brought the wms - wms to 64.5"... the rear axle measured 67"... so in-order to correct this 2" wheel spacers were used on both sides pushing the wms - wms to 68.5"...
The only good in my eyes from cutting down the long side is the fact that you can use the Jeep stock spring width... which i think is roughly 27 1/2"??? give or take... (I could be wrong with the spring measurements). IMO... keep them full width and run'em ;)

Ahhhh. I get it. Sorry it took me so long. I thought you chopped the front and bk. I didn't realize u were trying to match the bk being full width. So the front was chopped to use frame mount? In other words so u didnt have to outboard the leafs. Was all this done before u bought it? Or did u make these mods?

Lot`s of ways to do this. What WMS are you looking for ? What wheel bolt pattern and backspacing do you want to run ?

There are plenty of 15 inch kits for D60 Front and Rear. So 17`s will fit with no problem. Even with the factory 1 ton brakes. 4 inch backspace will slide right over.

On a 14 bolt you can swap to the dually hubs and bring your WMS to about 63 inches. Simple hub swap. Several vendors make disc brake kits also.

Can`t find dually hubs ? Rockcrusher and Solid make them. Or if you are going to keep the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern I have a set available.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom