Narrowing a d60/gm14 ff axles

Narrowing a d60/gm14 ff axles
Well I already have the donar truck and it has the srw set up(1987 1ton chevy 4x4) Doing this build for the first time, so Im really trying to weigh out my options. I'm not sure how wide I want my stance from wms to wms to be but, I'd like to bring them in a little more then full width. If I bring them in 4"/sd will the tires hit my leafs if I out board them? Thanks for replying and feel free to add any other helpful info. Like I said this will b my first major build like this so any info is helpful info.

There are plenty of 15 inch kits for D60 Front and Rear. So 17`s will fit with no problem. Even with the factory 1 ton brakes. 4 inch backspace will slide right over.
15" rims, and one ton axles... it can be done with the correct offset and grinding of the calipers... I had to do it on my front 60... and I had 15" rims with 2.5" offset... I don't see a 15" rim with a 4" offset going on/over without tons of grinding.

Well I already have the donar truck and it has the srw set up(1987 1ton chevy 4x4) Doing this build for the first time, so Im really trying to weigh out my options. I'm not sure how wide I want my stance from wms to wms to be but, I'd like to bring them in a little more then full width. If I bring them in 4"/sd will the tires hit my leafs if I out board them? Thanks for replying and feel free to add any other helpful info. Like I said this will b my first major build like this so any info is helpful info.
Get a tape measure out and play with the maximum width that you want to run.... from there you can start figuring out what all has to be done... and then you can watch the $ amount start to climb :D Do you have any pics of your Jeep?

Last edited:
I don't have any good ones off hand but, I'll try and post a few this wked. How do I post them? Never done that before. I need to get my shop cleaned up first. Just fin fabbing up a oxyacetylene cart so I have tools everywhere. Didn't want to spend 160$ on one so I picked up a hand cart w/a 700# cap. and converted it to what I needed. Plus the hand cart was only 40$ w/a 20% off coupon. Thanks for the great info. It really helps bouncing ideas off someone. Not many people i know r into this kind of project.

15" rims, and one ton axles... it can be done with the correct offset and grinding of the calipers... I had to do it on my front 60... and I had 15" rims with 2.5" offset... I don't see a 15" rim with a 4" offset going on/over without tons of grinding.

With the available disc brake brackets and 1/2 ton calipers/rotors. Most STEEL wheels will clear. Even with more then 2.5 BS. Aluminum wheels will not as they are two thick in section width. Have done several like this.

With the available disc brake brackets and 1/2 ton calipers/rotors. Most STEEL wheels will clear. Even with more then 2.5 BS. Aluminum wheels will not as they are two thick in section width. Have done several like this.

I wonder how they are on heavy rigs with big tires? Do you have any links?

That was going to be my next question. If I could run a smaller set of calipers/discs/rotars up front on d60 to allow more clearance for the bs of the rim. Will the 1/2 ton set up be smaller and have the same lug pattern as the back gm 14 bolt?

Now this might sound dumb....But if I had to do it over again.......I`d use 17" wheels.....

Problem is that I had 2 sets of 15 inch beadlocks with MT/R`s and Maxxis CC`s. Should a sold off both sets of the 15`s. Then put the money towards one set of 17`s.

YMMV though

All of the disk brake conversions I have done with D60's and 14 bolts have been a 4 bolt pattern for the caliper bracket.... Never had a D60 with a 6 bolt pattern for attaching the caliper bracket to the flange.
This is what I am used to... Am I missing something.
gallery.php

I just found this picture for the various axle flange bolt patterns

ID-AxleFlange.gif

Last edited:
I just posted a new thread called " which Dana 44s?". Trying to see if maybe I should go w/d44s instead of my 1 ton axles. I went ahead and put my donar truck up for sale thinking it would take some time to sell giving me some time to think about my options. Now I have a guy coming tomorrow. So now I'm really in a weird spot. This didn't give me any time to get feed bk on the d44s. Plus I already have the Transmission tcase and both axles in this truck. Wow my OCD is going crazy. Need a little help figuring this out before tomorrow. Also, is the GM Turbo 400 Transmission and np205 Transfer Case a good swap in for my jeep. Being that I know everything works together w these axles because they all came out of the donar truck I have. Now I'm just rambling. Sorry about that. :confused:

Here is a thread that I found to be very interesting on Dana 30 /44`s. Which may or may not pertain to you.

Dana 30 vs 44 New angle............. - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

IMHO a AMC20 with good shafts, truss and maybe an aftermarket cover is all you need. CJim7 has been running a built 401 with 36`s (which measure out larger) with no problems.

Or swap in a 8.8 with a couple tweaks and be good to go.

If you want to run disc brakes on the AMC20 you can swap over Ford 9 inch ends. Run Explorer disc brake set up. Easy to do and not terribly expensive.

Cannot comment on the GM Turbo 400 /205. Don`t know enough about the combination to write with any knowledge.

Only issue that jumps out is the overall length of the package. In a short wheelbase Jeep driveline angle becomes a major consideration. So it the package is much longer then the stock.......I`d avoid it. But that is just one part of the puzzle. Perhaps somebody else can chime in that has better knowledge in this area.

Unless you plan on running some big butt tires with lotsa horsepower and torque. Take the $$ from the sale and do a few upgrades to what you already have.

Just my opinion.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom