Need a little flywheel help here

Need a little flywheel help here
Thanks
'81 CJ7 project is going well, but I've hit a snag and need some help from the wise ones. When I bought my jeep, it came with an automatic that someone had retro-fitted. I decided to revert back to a manual tranny and found a cheap T-4 - I know, I know... not the best choice - but I'll upgrade later. I just need it to move.

My problem is that I need a flywheel and when I search parts sites (like Morris 4X4), it seems they only list '72-'79, and '82-'87 flywheels for a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l w/ manual tranny. I guess 80's and 81's came without flywheels :rolleyes:.

Seriously though, can anyone tell me if one of these will work for a '81, and if not what type do I need?

Thanks in advance,

Wes

'81 CJ7 project is going well, but I've hit a snag and need some help from the wise ones. When I bought my jeep, it came with an automatic that someone had retro-fitted. I decided to revert back to a manual tranny and found a cheap T-4 - I know, I know... not the best choice - but I'll upgrade later. I just need it to move.

My problem is that I need a flywheel and when I search parts sites (like Morris 4X4), it seems they only list '72-'79, and '82-'87 flywheels for a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l w/ manual tranny. I guess 80's and 81's came without flywheels :rolleyes:.

Seriously though, can anyone tell me if one of these will work for a '81, and if not what type do I need?

Thanks in advance,

Wes

Well Wes, as you might already know about Jeeps it's hard to make definitive statements about them.
I bought a 81' CJ5 4-speed new & it did for sure come with a flywheel.:laugh:
I know on V8's there are two different types of flywheel due to a change in mounting flange design. That was like 69'-70' though & I'm unaware of any similar change on the 6.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom