Need help identifying electric components....

Need help identifying electric components....

Stormrider

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ7
304 V8, 4spd,
Ok, so I am restoring my CJ7 right now and I am in the process of assembling my motor together. I want to clean up all the wiring and eliminate whatever is not needed or used and I need help identifying some things. Well, I got a AMC 304 V8 with a 4 spd tranny in a 77 CJ7 . I am putting in a HEI distributor. I am replacing the alternator with a 60 amp but still keeping the regulator external not internal.

The first picture is this the solenoid for the starter?
The second is the regulator for the alternator?
The third picture I am not so sure but it has 1 red wire going to the solenoid in picture 1.

Also, since I am putting in an HEI distributor, I took out the coil. Did I forget something?
View attachment 4701

View attachment 4702

View attachment 4703

The third pic is a ford voltage regulator. The red wire is on a ground screw so it can be discarded with the regulator.

The third pic is a ford voltage regulator. The red wire is on a ground screw so it can be discarded with the regulator.

I am confused. I thought that the voltage regulator was in pic 2 and since I am replacing the alternator with the same type, external regulator, wouldn't I need to keep the regulator?

Pic 2 might be a voltage regulator. It has wires hooked up so it may be in use. Pic 3 is a voltage regulator used on Ford products. It is NOT hooked up so it may be left over from a previous modification. Do you see a flat black plug that would plug into pic 3? It will have 3 wires, one empty terminal spot, and a wire about 3 inches long hanging off of it. If there is no plug for it, that's more proof that it can go.

Maybe someone else will identify pic 2.

Also, if pic 2 is a voltage regulator, it needs to bolted to metal or it will fry. It looks pretty old. You should probably replace it and bolt it down before you hook the wires up. Always bolt regulators to a good ground before hooking them up.

Last edited:
Pic 2 might be a voltage regulator. It has wires hooked up so it may be in use. Pic 3 is a voltage regulator used on Ford products. It is NOT hooked up so it may be left over from a previous modification. Do you see a flat black plug that would plug into pic 3? It will have 3 wires, one empty terminal spot, and a wire about 3 inches long hanging off of it. If there is no plug for it, that's more proof that it can go.

Maybe someone else will identify pic 2.

Also, if pic 2 is a voltage regulator, it needs to bolted to metal or it will fry. It looks pretty old. You should probably replace it and bolt it down before you hook the wires up. Always bolt regulators to a good ground before hooking them up.

I am pretty sure that the voltage regulator in pic 2 is what is being used right now. I believe that you are right about pic 3. I think that is was the original regulator but is no longer used because it didn't have anything plugged to it. Someone might have changed the regulator at one point, but when I looked up voltage regulator for my year and engine, it shows a picture of what pic 3 looks like. I guess once I put the motor back in and connect all the wiring, I will find out what is what. I was going to cut out all the wire looms and run whatever wires needed then reloom everything. As far as ground goes, I have a fiberglass tub, hood, and fenders and these component were screwed to the inside of the fenders. Not sure how they got their ground, maybe from another ground wire that was bolted to the block or frame. I will bolt it and ground it first before I hook it up. Thanks.

picture two is the ECM, it goes away when you put the HEI on.:cool:

picture two is the ECM, it goes away when you put the HEI on.:cool:

Well IO, if that's the ECM then I guess pic 3 is the regulator. I wonder why it only has one red wire grounding it? :confused: Let me check and see if there is a plug somewhere that connects to it. I might have to sort all of this out once I start connecting wires to components.

what does the back side of it look like??:cool:

what does the back side of it look like??:cool:

I believe that you are right IO, after further inspection, pic 3 looks like it's the regulator and there's also a red plug with 3 prongs that plugs to it I believe. I must have gotten in a hurry when I was pulling stuff apart so I could get the motor out that I forgot.....:D I guess the ECM is pic 2 and that will be eliminated once I put in my HEI.

Thanks,
Louie.
View attachment 4716

View attachment 4717

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom