Need info on fuel line from gas tank.....

Need info on fuel line from gas tank.....

Stormrider

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ7
304 V8, 4spd,
So I think that my CJ hesitates every time I pump gas because the gas tank is not vent right.

Right now on the driver's side at the top of the tank towards the front, I have 2 hoses that connect to 2 metal lines that goes straight to the motor. One is the main line to the fuel pump and the other is the return line from the carburetor. There is another metal line but it is cut at the frame around the fender and it is also not connected to anything at the top of the tank. Now at the top of the tank in the back, I have 2 short metal lines that come out and there is a short rubber hose that connects from one line to the other and I don't think that it's correct because if it's a vent, then it's going out of the line and back into the tank. I don't see any kind of check valve or anything on these lines. Can some one please tell me how these lines should be hooked up?

Thanks,
Storm

Can someone with a similar year please take a look at your lines on top of the tank and let me know something? Thanks.

Here is what your tank/hoses should look like if all is OEM. Note the top diagram is for California as they had more stringent emissions requirements than the rest of the States back in the day. It sounds like your jeep has been cleaned of the rollover valve and the evaporation canister; both of which can be hard or impossible to find; both in my opinion are important.

The return fuel line from the fuel filter at the carburetor is very important or you will get stalling etc. The rollover valve is a no brainer to stop gas from leaking out of the tank in a crash. The evaporation canister is going to affect the pressure in the tank and fuel system as it is the only way for the tank to vent so maybe there is something to that.

Here is what your tank/hoses should look like if all is OEM. Note the top diagram is for California as they had more stringent emissions requirements than the rest of the States back in the day. It sounds like your jeep has been cleaned of the rollover valve and the evaporation canister; both of which can be hard or impossible to find; both in my opinion are important.

The return fuel line from the fuel filter at the carburetor is very important or you will get stalling etc. The rollover valve is a no brainer to stop gas from leaking out of the tank in a crash. The evaporation canister is going to affect the pressure in the tank and fuel system as it is the only way for the tank to vent so maybe there is something to that.

Thanks for the info Saddle Tramp! Yes I am missing the rollover valve, liquid check valve and charcoal canister all together. I read a couple of threads where someone found a rollover valve but I don't even know if I can locate a liquid check valve and canister or not. Any ideas?

The picture is like my 73 is.

I wonder why you would want to replace at all. Chances are your charchol canister is shot too.

Unless your are going for a restoration.

The system picked up fuel vapors and let them return to the tank. The rollover valve is not going to shut off any fuel going to the carb, only the vapor canister.

Just plug them.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom