Need new Transfercase for 78 cj 7

Need new Transfercase for 78 cj 7

Hopper

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ7,258.Fiberglass tub, BDS springs,shocks, 3"lift, Painless Harness, 33's
I have a 3 spd tranny.. any repitable places to get a remanufactured Transfer Case . have found some in junk yards ect, but obviously no history and i dont want to spend $250 to $400 for something that may not last. I am looking for suggestions where i could get a replacement that has been professionally done preferably closer to Maine but that isnt a must. Thanks

Herms reputation is stellar.Parts and Services
Try Novak too but they may just sell parts for it.

I just gave Parts Mike a call for to see if he had a rebuilt Dana 20 Transfer Case for you. I'll let you know the outcome.

In the mean time. rebuilding your Transfer Case is a pretty easy job, have you considered it?

I was told the case was junk..it was leaking since i got the jeep 3 yrs ago. I was told by my mechanic who sent it to another guy that works on them. I was trying to get the seals replaced but he said it was junk. I know they can be rebuild but this guy is saying the case itself is bad? is there any truth to that/

I was told the case was junk..it was leaking since i got the jeep 3 yrs ago. I was told by my mechanic who sent it to another guy that works on them. I was trying to get the seals replaced but he said it was junk. I know they can be rebuild but this guy is saying the case itself is bad? is there any truth to that/

IF theres not a crack in the case or the bearing areas out of round the case should be fine.. those 20's are solid. IF it shifts good and just leaks from the seals then I would say the guy just didn't want to do it.

Like stated above if you have a few hand tools and some patience you can rebuild it your self. Im leery about mechanics working on jeeps. For some reason really good mechanics seem to not be able to wrap their brain around a jeep unless they own one or work on them ALOT. I had a buddy take his to a shop to fix the horn.. two weeks and a few hundred dollars in labor later he got it back with "you need a new wiring harness".. theres a short some where in yours. I had him bring it by my place, 10 minutes and a test light and tracked it down to the wire that goes to the column was pulled out just enough to make contact but not obvious.

Had another guy take his in for brakes and was told his rear was shot due to the clicking noise that happens when he spins the rear end. The guy never opened the cover and said he didnt have to because he could hear the gears grinding when he turned the shaft. I talked him into letting me look at it before he dumped $1000 into a rebuilt rear and sure enough it had a detroit in it.

Some guys are lazy and don't want to do the work.

Heres a link to how to tear it down. He did it to install a tera low kit but tear down is the same
Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

Google it and look around and you can find plenty of articles on rebuilding them.. just make sure your looking at jeep T/C not Ford.

I have found a lot of parts from CraigsList. You can keep it local, and a lot of people swap out the Dana 20 for the Dana 300 , so you can usually find a Dana 20 that is still in good order. Plus you can haggle the price.

I am running the Dana 20 right now, but on ly because a Dana 300 is hard to come by. At least one that is bolt up ready.

"The Dana 300 Transfer Case used in 1980 IH Scout IIs uses the same bolt pattern and input hole size as the Jeep Dana 20 . It is a great Transfer Case to use as an upgrade to the Jeep Dana 20 because it has a much better low range. It is a gear drivin Transfer Case with a cast iron case. Low range is 2.62:1."

I have a CJ5 and I need to watch the output shaft length. Most of what I have found has the extended output shaft, which should be ok with your CJ7 , but always double check that it fits ok.

you did get your Dana 20 back from this guy??:confused:

I have to ask this next question.

How mechanically inclined are you?? do you know the difference between a bearing puller and a slide hammer?

We try to encourage owners to do their own work but asking a guy with a tool collection of 2 Crescents and a claw hammer to put bearings and seals in a T-18 is not really a fair suggestion.:cool:

Do you think the Dana 300 is better than the Dana 20 ??

Do you think the Dana 300 is better than the Dana 20 ??

The only thing better about the Dana 300 over the Dana 20 is the 2.62 low compared to the 2.0 low of the 20. Other then that it is just as strong, steel case, gear driven and can be twin sticked. As for strength of the case its self the Dana 20 was the main Transfer Case used in FSJ one ton jeeps with 360's and 401's. IF the Dana 300 was stronger im pretty sure they would have used them instead

The thing to ask when debating on the 300/20 swap is what do you do with the jeep. Rocks? mud sand? extreme crawling?? If your mostly trail riding, sand, mud then you need high wheel speed to keep moving.. rock crawling you will need the lower crawl ration but then the 2.62 is not that great for crawling any way.

The IH Dana 300 was only produced for one year so that makes them Very hard to come by, so you pay alot when you do find one, parts are hard to come by.. you pay alot for them also. then there is the ever elusive bull gear. a IH scout uses different input gear then the Dana 20 and that seems to be the hardest thing to find so when you do find em guess what? You pay alot for them.

If your lucky enough to find a IH 300 you can expect to pay 250-400 for it and more then likely it will need to be rebuilt so your gonna drop another $200 for the kit. Then the golden egg input gear I would expect to pay another $100-AMC 150 for so on the low side your at least $600 in the whole for a extra .62 of gear reduction. IF you wanted a better gear reduction you can upgrade your Dana 20 while rebuilding it to a 3:15 tera low kit for around $800

You shouldnt have to pay 200-400 for a used Dana 20 . Any Jeep (almost) wagoneer and J-Truck were produced prior to 1979 came with either a QuadraTrac or Dana 20 . IF you look at the front axles and there is no locking hubs then its a QuadraTrac . Stop going to junkyard asking for a CJ Transfer Case .. people think jeep CJ parts are made from gold plated stripper nipples and charge accordingly.

If it were me I would keep it simple and rebuild/run your current 20. Look long and hard at the IH Dana 300 swap before you jump on a case.

you did get your Dana 20 back from this guy??:confused:

I have to ask this next question.

How mechanically inclined are you?? do you know the difference between a bearing puller and a slide hammer?

We try to encourage owners to do their own work but asking a guy with a tool collection of 2 Crescents and a claw hammer to put bearings and seals in a T-18 is not really a fair suggestion.:cool:

It is back at the garage my jeep is at ( my friends Garage / Junkyard.) Good question, i am fairly mechanically inclined but not a hero by any means. I did install my wiring harness :chug: but i dont have alot of experience mechanically. I do own a bearing puller and a slide hammer but cant say i have used them very often. I have purchased a used T-20 with a 3 month warranty for $375 just to get my jeep back on the road my plan is to open the old case up and mess around with it see if it is something i can do. If i can rebuild it than great i have a spare. I looked at a video and it looked pretty complicated to me but i would need to dive in and figure it out hands on. I can build anything out of wood but i seem to break, or strip bolts and get frustrated but i am having fun learning.

I just bought one from an on line company with a 3 month warranty for $375 no core charge and shipping included. I plan to break my old case down and see if i can do anything with it. I really just want to get it back on the road. i plan on switching out the gears from a 81 parts jeep i have with 4:10 gears that are in it. I hope that will give me better low range. I would get the low gear for the T-20 but cant afford it right now. i am not sure of all the ins and outs of it but i am going to give it a try. I know i should get the solid axles and do it all at ounce but my wife seems to let me spend more money on the jeep when i get to take her for a ride once in awhile and then i can convince her of how we can make it better.

My honest to goodness fresh rebuilt Dana 20 was $200 from someone who rebuilt it for a customer and the customer never picked it up or paid for it.

Good for you, that isnt my luck thats for sure! The local ones i was looking at were a 3 hr ride to pay $250 for one with no history.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom