Need some help on a Carb...

Need some help on a Carb...

firedocs

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep Cj-7 Black and Honey Laredo, hard top 5 speed manual, Bone stock head to toe-Factory A/C, stainless package, 258-I6, stock carter bbd, less than 100k miles.
I have a guy with a Weber 32/34 that he wants to sell for 125.00. It is currently on a Jeep 258I6.(not able to hear it run). I need a new carb for my 85 Laredo stock-258I6. I would like to trash the Carter. My question is; do you think I should go for the weber and chance having to rebuilt it or go try to find a Motorcraft 2100, or just rebuilt the Carter that I have??? Please help me decide.

Oooh I'll get this!

That's a pretty good price for a Weber, and if it needs a rebuild, the kits are cheap. Every carb eventually needs it done anyways...even a mc2100. ;)

Rebuilding the Weber wont take very long. Making the brackets work for the throttle and choke cable will take longer.

I'll take this 2. I bought a weber off the internet once for $100 myself. I bought a rebuild kit for it along with a linkage kit. If your not familiar with rebuilding carbs I suggest to stay away from this kind of "deal" in my expierience.

I paid around $170 for my rebuilt mc2100. Then you have the adapter and gaskets that run around $40. Best money you'll ever spend. If your interested in getting the Mc2100 rebuilt and delivered to your door pm me. He also sells the brackets in case you cant fabricate them yourself.

Pete

Hey thanks guys, it seems that the Weber might be a good deal after all. And as far as the fab work, it sets on an 85' AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l now and comes with ALL the linkage and adapter plates to bolt right up to my CJ. I will give it a good cleaning and go from there on rebuilding it. I suppose I can still get gaskets for it, will replace those. Thanks everyone.
Tim

Hey thanks guys, it seems that the Weber might be a good deal after all. And as far as the fab work, it sets on an 85' AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l now and comes with ALL the linkage and adapter plates to bolt right up to my CJ. I will give it a good cleaning and go from there on rebuilding it. I suppose I can still get gaskets for it, will replace those. Thanks everyone.
Tim

If this thing runs rich for you, where you cant lean it out, dont be discouraged. Weber carbs come over jetted from the factory and you can jet it down if you need to, not a big problem.

The rebuild kit is cheap and I just made the gaskets for the adaptor plates. It is easy with hole punches and a very sharp box cutter.

Well got the weber today and all the adapter plates, linkage, and air cleaner and filter.Plans are to give her a good cleaning(suggestion for cleaner) and bolt it on Friday. Should I put something on the gaskets before assembly? I will get some pictures of the new Weber on tomorrow for you guys to see. Thanks fellows
Tim

Well got the weber today and all the adapter plates, linkage, and air cleaner and filter.Plans are to give her a good cleaning(suggestion for cleaner) and bolt it on Friday. Should I put something on the gaskets before assembly? I will get some pictures of the new Weber on tomorrow for you guys to see. Thanks fellows
Tim

Carb cleaner...and nothing else. Cheap, abundant at your local store, and works great.

I always use a very thin coat of RTV...I dont like vacuum leaks :mad:

Carb cleaner...and nothing else. Cheap, abundant at your local store, and works great.

I always use a very thin coat of RTV...I dont like vacuum leaks :mad:

Yeah, nothing else but carb cleaner. I've never found a specific carb cleaner that works better than the others, whatever is cheapest is usually what I go with, it's all the same stuff.

RTV, make sure you get the stuff thats compatable with gasoline, some of it isn't. I found out the hard way :bang:

RTV, make sure you get the stuff thats compatable with gasoline, some of it isn't. I found out the hard way :bang:

Yes. And by a thin layer, I mean put a very small bead on it and lay it down with something flat (small putty knife, paint scraper...)...to the point it's hardly even there. It will seal up fine.

Yes. And by a thin layer, I mean put a very small bead on it and lay it down with something flat (small putty knife, paint scraper...)...to the point it's hardly even there. It will seal up fine.

And make sure you get everything installed and bolted down before it starts setting up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom