Need some Info

Need some Info

Doublelung

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 AMC-304
New to Jeepin and i am looking for some info on my 80 CJ7 Im trying to figure out as much about this as i can on the stock equipment its got a AMC 304 V8, Dana 30 FRONT, AMC20 REAR, I dont know the what the 4 speed Transmission or Transfer Case type is also not sure what the stock 2 barrel carb is or what gearing I have. can anyone give me some info
:confused:

New to Jeepin and i am looking for some info on my 80 CJ7 Im trying to figure out as much about this as i can on the stock equipment its got a AMC 304 V8, Dana 30 FRONT, AMC20 REAR, I dont know the what the 4 speed Transmission or Transfer Case type is also not sure what the stock 2 barrel carb is or what gearing I have. can anyone give me some info
:confused:

Well, there were several offerings for 4 spd trannies in 1980. It could be any one of, T-18A. T-176 , or an SR4 . The gear ratio is anyones guess, and you will have to check for a tag on the dif cover, hopefully It's still there. The Carb for the V8 models used the 2bbl Autolite 2100

That, or pull the cover. You can usually ID the Transmission by getting a look at the case. OH, and the TC would be a Dana 300 .

As CW said, there could be several transmissions in your 7. I listed them below with pictures for you.

T-18
attachment.php

T-176
attachment.php

SR4
attachment.php

As for the gear ratio, try and look on the diff cover (both front and rear) and see if there is a tag. Give us the code if you can find it.

If there is no code, jack up the rear end, put the Transfer Case in neutral and turn one of the tires. If one turns opposite then the other then you have an open diff. If they turn the same way you have some sort of Limited slip.

Make a mark on a tire and also on the drive shaft. Now, if you have an open diff go to #2, if Limited go to #1

#1 (Limited Slip) Turn the wheel one complete revolution while counting the turns on the drive shaft. That will tell you the ratio. Ex. 1 rotation of the tire and 3.5 rotations of the drive shaft is a 3.5 to 1 gear.

#2 (Open Diff) Lower one (1) tire back on the ground and turn the wheel two (2) revolutions while counting the turns on the drive shaft. That will tell you the ratio. Ex. 2 rotations of the tire and 3.5 rotations of the drive shaft is a 3.5 to 1 gear.

Exellent reference materials there boss!:chug: I see this as a huge help to your members.

Yes, that is where they slide as the suspension compresses and extends.

The last year of the T-18 was 1979.
The T-176 was used from 1980- 1986 -as was the Dana 300 .

I must edit and say- AMC did do weird things and used what parts they had between years, so it is possible they had a T-18 left over and maybe used it in latter 79 or early 80 as they did with parts in 75-76. ??

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom