need your knowledge

need your knowledge

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
so my CJ7 smokes a bit. time for a compression test i guess. maby its my valve seals or rings. anybody have any advice or knows how much a compression test should cost.

also there is this quiet high pitch clicking that changes with the rpms even when the clutch is pushed, but sounds like its coming from the trany? what could that be?

thanks in advance! ill post up some more probs as they come :D

The majority of the time I charge $65.00. Their are cases with 4 cam engines and engines that the intake has to be removed, I charge more. A leak down test will give you more information than a compression test.

ok thanks ill look into a leak down test if not ill buy a compression tester since they are about 20 bucks cheaper than getting a shop to do it haha and yea that would look cool in a tool box

Buy a compression tester I use mine all of the time but I'm also always working on. Engines let us know what the numbers are
When you do the test write all of the numbers down for later refrence so you can compair it if you need to, also don't forget to remove all of your plug wires, but only have one plug out at a time

yea i called around to get some prices on getting a leak down test.. the prices ranged from 60-130 haha and i dont think ill be going back to castrol car care center anymore cause i think i pissed of the owner when i busted out laughing when he told me $130 hahaha

Some shops try to increase their retirement fund off of every customer. Something else you can do that is easy. Document your oil consumption. See what kind of mileage you are getting before you have to add oil. When guides and stem seals let go, oil consumption is crazy. When your oil rings get fouled and compression rings leak, the consumption isn't as fast. There are alot of variables to this logic, but for the most part it is pretty solid.

so i did a oil and filter change with castrol gtx and a quart of lucas oil treatment and it pretty much quit smoking. i have talked to ASE master certified technicians and done research and talked to many normal mechanics and still havent heard any bad things about lucas oil treatment everybody seams to love it. works for me haha

so i did a oil and filter change with castrol gtx and a quart of lucas oil treatment and it pretty much quit smoking. i have talked to ASE master certified technicians and done research and talked to many normal mechanics and still havent heard any bad things about lucas oil treatment everybody seams to love it. works for me haha
If you want this ASE Master Technician's opinion, I believe their is a time and place for Lucas. It seems to work better in domestic automobiles than in imports. I have rebuilt plenty of engines that had been operated with Lucus and for the most part it did its job. My only complaint, it seems to stick to the bottom of oil pans and stay. Another cheap fix is to run Marvell's or ATF in your fuel. Over time this will clean valve stems and rings.:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks