Build Thread New Engine

Build Thread New Engine

rlitavecz

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ-5 258 w/7120 head, Comp Cam, Howell TBI, HEI, stock T15 trans, Dana 20 tc, Dana 30 & 44 axles 3.73 gears, Lock Right both ends
Rebuilt this engine I got from Ebay in early December. Sorry about the small image. Never thought to take a pic before starting!

ebayengine.png

Replaced rings and bearings. Installed a Comp Cam 235, lifters, and timing set. Purchased a 4.0 head that had the cooling holes welded, milled, and a 3 angle valve job. A 2 barrel intake from a later AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a 38mm Weber used from.......you guessed it, Ebay! I went through the carb. Replaced the fuel and water pumps. Ebayed a valve cover. Spent about 30-40 hours cleaning, degreasing, sanding, and painting. The exhaust is from a 95 Cherokee that my buddy had laying around. I reinstalled the points distibutor and coil to start the engine on the stand. I have an HEI on the motor that is in the Jeep and the points distributor will be replaced with the HEI.

Started her up last weekend on the stand for about 10 minutes to break in the cam at 2000 rpm. Sounded great and had 35 psi oil hot and idling. I removed the starter, bellhousing, and flywheel after running the engine.
Jeepengineandpartsforsale019.png

The air filter that came with the Weber is ugly! Chrome rectangular thing that just didn't look good! I made an adapter plate from some 10 Gauge plate, cut the bottom out of the original air filter housing, and stitch welded the 2 together. Sealed the seam with red silicone and added some additional holes to feed the bigger carb. A little clean up, primer and paint and I like the look.

003.png
001.png

NYJeepEngine040.png

Wow thats cool I hope you had a radiator hooked to it while you ran it.:chug:

Looks great! I did a similar build, but used a 272 cam, mild p&p on the head, Clifford intake, TFI...and topped it with a 500cfm Eddy.

The HP and torque gains were phenomenal :cool:

Edit: I love what you did with the airbox. Im not a big fan of the boxy Weber filter either...never did like it.

Wow thats cool I hope you had a radiator hooked to it while you ran it.:chug:
No radiator, but I only ran the engine for about 10 minutes to break in the cam and check oil pressure. I reset the carb to an idle and shut her of to cool. Shouldn't hurt to run for a short time. I do this with any motor I build.

Looks great! I did a similar build, but used a 272 cam, mild p&p on the head, Clifford intake, TFI...and topped it with a 500cfm Eddy.

The HP and torque gains were phenomenal :cool:

Edit: I love what you did with the airbox. Im not a big fan of the boxy Weber filter either...never did like it.
I would like to tell people that this engine is stock, but the late model exhaust will give it away:eek: Nothing like beating a later model/modified jeep up a hill and then showing the "stock" inline 6 under the hood:rolleyes:
BTW this will replace a AMC 232 i6 in an all metal 1973 CJ5 . I rebuilt the stock tranny and tc. Put in a better clutch. Added Lockrites to both ends. Suspension is stock except for shocks, shackles, and bushings. The original Dana 30 and 44 still uses the 3.73 gears. 31" tires might be replaced with 32s this year. I am thinking of using all terrain radials instead of the heavy lugged mud tires that are currently on the Jeep. This Jeep is used in the dunes where soft tires with 7-8 psi works the best.

The yellow CJ is mine.......Guess I need to get more pics uploaded, but I am not at home, so no access to my pc.
laborday2011065.jpg
Pictures taken at Silver Lake State Park in Michigan.laborday2011054.jpg

WOW thats one awesome looking engine, when i finally get around to rebuilding my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I hope it will look that good. Mine has 200000 plus on it but still runs good, so its just getting broke in HA HA:D When I get the cash saved up I would like to do a mild cam upgrade also. Mine won't have the hei I'm doing the team rush upgrade, just have the bigger cap on and plug wires but I can say it starts faster and runs alot better.:):chug:

WOW thats one awesome looking engine, when i finally get around to rebuilding my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I hope it will look that good. Mine has 200000 plus on it but still runs good, so its just getting broke in HA HA:D When I get the cash saved up I would like to do a mild cam upgrade also. Mine won't have the hei I'm doing the team rush upgrade, just have the bigger cap on and plug wires but I can say it starts faster and runs alot better.:):chug:
I purchased the HEI from 4wd hardware 2 years ago when I first purchased the CJ. I figured that a new cap, rotor, points, and condenser would cost at least half of what this brand new distributor costs and I would still have a crappy points ignition. The HEI allows me to run .050" plug gap and hooks up with one wire. At $99 I consider it to be a real bargain!
4 Wheel Drive Hardware Part WYSWP8919 - HEI Billet Distributor for Jeep

I purchased the HEI from 4wd hardware 2 years ago when I first purchased the CJ. I figured that a new cap, rotor, points, and condenser would cost at least half of what this brand new distributor costs and I would still have a crappy points ignition. The HEI allows me to run .050" plug gap and hooks up with one wire. At $99 I consider it to be a real bargain!
4 Wheel Drive Hardware Part WYSWP8919 - HEI Billet Distributor for Jeep
I just did the team rush because of the issue of the gear on the hei distributor being to hard and eating the cam gear up. I'm not saying the hei is a bad setup just check and make sure your hei gear isn't eating up your cam gear. :):chug: I would check out your cam gear for wear after you have some miles on it. :cool:

I just did the team rush because of the issue of the gear on the hei distributor being to hard and eating the cam gear up. I'm not saying the hei is a bad setup just check and make sure your hei gear isn't eating up your cam gear. :):chug: I would check out your cam gear for wear after you have some miles on it. :cool:

Are there a lot of instances of the cam gear wearing out? Can this problem be solved by replacing the distributor drive gear with an original gear? I am also wondering if this probelm is Limited to the stock cam or will this also occur with the Comp Cam that I am using? Lots of questions, but now you have me worried! I do not want to ruin the new cam.

Are there a lot of instances of the cam gear wearing out? Can this problem be solved by replacing the distributor drive gear with an original gear? I am also wondering if this probelm is Limited to the stock cam or will this also occur with the Comp Cam that I am using? Lots of questions, but now you have me worried! I do not want to ruin the new cam.
I6 engines don't have cam gear problems. The gear on an I6 is part of the hardened cam and the V8 is a separate soft gear. You will be OK.

I have alot of miles on my HEI and love it, far superior over the stock motojunk ignition. I have recently had it out and there are no issues, in fact this is the first I have heard of the cam gear and the cam not getting along.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom