Engine New Winter Project. Rebuild or Buy Remanufactured 258 i6?

Engine New Winter Project. Rebuild or Buy Remanufactured 258 i6?

Genaz

Jeeper
Donator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7. 258cu 6cyl. T5 tranny/Dana 300 transfer case (both from '82 Scramber)
This winter's project will be the engine: 258c/6 cylinder. Not sure if I should have this motor rebuilt or buy a re-man. Getting different opinions. Never know what you're getting with a remanufactured engine, but the other side says by the time you do the heads, crank, cam, etc your better off just getting a re-man motor. Will be changing the intake and carb when I do this. Probably M/C 2100. Opinons and recommendations appreciated!

I had a reman it was nothing but trash. Went with a quality local shop on my current for a rebuild. Much happier with it

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Agree with Manic - stay with what you know/have and rebuild it. A reman is someone else's throw-away re-worked over.

Also I switched from a 2100 to sniper EFI. Best decision ever

Also I switched from a 2100 to sniper EFI. Best decision ever

Yup this is on my list as well. I'm going to clean up my stock Carter for now but I won't invest in another carb again. Especially since I'm designing this one for Winter and off road.

Two Ways to go on the EFI. If you're already setup for the original Carter they have a bolt on sniper designed as a replacement.

Other option is the sniper 2300 it's a replacement for the MC 2100 which I was already running so I didn't have to change anything.

Thanks. Steers really nice now. I think the rear drive shaft might still be at a slightly extreme angle. But no vibration that I can feel. So, if it doesn't appear extreme to anyone, then I think I'm fine.

Now, next question. This winter's project will be the engine: 258c/6 cylinder. Not sure if I should have this motor rebuilt or buy a re-man. Getting different opinions. Never know what you're getting with a remanufactured engine, but the other side says by the time you do the heads, crank, cam, etc your better off just getting a re-man motor. Will be changing the intake and carb when I do this. Probably M/C 2100. Opinons and recommendations appreciated!
First off. is the motor okay. Nothing major going on exm. spun bearings, knocking. That raises the price on machine work. Will you be assembling yourself? I used to work at o'reilly's, they have a real good warranty from tri star reman engines, and i had no problem selling those engines. Also get a quote from a machine shop.

First off. is the motor okay. Nothing major going on exm. spun bearings, knocking. That raises the price on machine work. Will you be assembling yourself? I used to work at o'reilly's, they have a real good warranty from tri star reman engines, and i had no problem selling those engines. Also get a quote from a machine shop.
The biggest issue your going to find with places like advanced auto AutoZone etc etc is they typically don't have a motor to sell cause it's not a common engine or request any longer. I ran into this problem trying to source an LS1 for an 02 Transmission am. I was told that I could pull mine send it in as a core and they would then have it done. But at that point I'd rather just go local and know what's being done.

As far as prices it will vary based on location and what needs to be done and what all you want done. Mine came in right around $3,400 bucks for a complete rebuild including assembly. That was .030 over crank .010 under all new pistons bearings brass freeze plugs cam lifters push rods and a complete valve job and decking the block and head (I'm sure I missed something in there) now I could've spent more and gone the stroker route but it's not worth it in my opinion for a Jeep I'm not hot rodding it.

Reman engines are built to a price point. If they can scrimp somewhere to save a few bucks they will. Building an engine as simple as the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is not rocket science. Find a good, local machine shop and do what they say. Buy Quality parts and upgrade where you can. Assembly is no big deal if you take your time. It's very rewarding to drive a vehicle with an engine you built.

I've built plenty of them. The machine shop I used offered a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty if they did the assembly. Totally worth the $750 bucks

Wow, as usual a whole bunch of great advice. I agree with Manic and Senior Jeeper and I'm better off having my existing motor rebuilt. I haven't done one in a long time, so will find a quality shop in my area. The $3400 Manic mentions is around what I figured, and a little more than a reman engine. But I know what I'm getting.

For the EFI, you mention there's a kit that will fit my Carter set up?

Also want to start another thread about wiring. Considering doing a Painless kit since I'll have the engine and drive train out.

Or.... Great opportunity to go stroker. A 4.0L out of a junkyard wrangler plus your AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l crank. You'll already be paying for head work and buying pistons. So the engine work costs would be the same as your rebuild. It would bolt up to your Transmission , but some of the other peripherals would be more involved (have to conert to elec fuel pump, ensure the clutch would work, verify water pump rotation works with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l vbelts or convert to wrangler serpentine).

It would probably be a good idea to read up on strokers before jumping all in on that.

Agreed, thanks for the advice R717. But stroker sounds a bit more involved than I want to get right now. Maybe down the road sometime.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom