Newbie neeeds help to identify rear end

Newbie neeeds help to identify rear end

murfs66

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
I just picked up a 75 CJ5 with some modifications done to it. I cannot figure out the rear end I have. I looked for markings and none. It appears that someone tried to fix it and left it apart some(no cover) missing spiders and slips.

Any help ......thanks...
.View attachment 11059

View attachment 11060

:agree:

I agree with Old Dog agreeing with Incommando.
The Dana 44 was very common before AMC bought Jeep.

Cool. Thanks guys. I'm new to the jeep thing.

Can I just buy any Dana 44 dif cover and gear set for this or is it year specific?

Last edited:
:wtf: I hope you have all your parts... I see thats its partially dissasembled

:wtf: I hope you have all your parts... I see thats its partially dissasembled

unfortunately I don't. IM going to have to find some caps and hone them to fit. Ive homes some before and worked for years. IM picking up a complete open this afternoon for $40.

OK IM in a delima right now. I have an old Dana 44 from an old Ford f100 its an older dana, but will work I think.
Here it is.... Do I use the old Dana do a soa or fix the old one for $40 and have a newer style dana . The old one has smaller axle tubes vs the original cj axle. I can always trus it in though.

OK IM in a delima right now. I have an old Dana 44 from an old Ford f100 its an older dana, but will work I think.
Here it is.... Do I use the old Dana do a soa or fix the old one for $40 and have a newer style dana . The old one has smaller axle tubes vs the original cj axle. I can always trus it in though.

Depends on how old: the older Dana 44 's have a lot more issues than thinner axle tubes. They have a lower spline count and if you go prior to about 1970 they had two piece axles that sucked. Then there is the axle width issue as they may be over 12" wider than a CJ narrow track.

It is an older one, but is only 10" wider than stock, which I'll run a spacer up front until I can get the other 44 fixed. It sucks because I have a dana 60 also in the yard that I need to have drilled to fit the ford lug pattern. It's also 10 " wider than stock. It will at least get the jeep down the road for now. I have to build a front driveline for the jeep as well. The spacer will still make me under by 3" on both sides, which isnt really that noticible. It will do for now until I get the new front axle I want. I hope.

Whats your take on this setup for now.

Last edited:
Personally I think 3" per side is pretty noticable. My rear was noticable at 2" narrower per side. If you need a better front end too you could get an 8 lug Dana 44 from a pre-94 Dodge or an 8 lug GM Dana 44 or 10 bolt front to match your 8 lug D60 rear and just do it all while you are at it? Just a thought.

I don't think its a problem if the front and rear axle width are 2 or 4 inches different. A lot of trucks come from the factory with a wider front than rear. Especially with IFS and solid rear axle.
August09098.jpg

Thanks again for all the info. For right now I just want to get the cj on the road. IM going to fire it up this weekend.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom