No Low Beams

No Low Beams
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ-7 4cyl 4spd planning to restore it completely, will update it with a 258 and a 5spd
Ok last night on my way home i lost my headlights in low beam, the high beams work, but i have no low beam, looking at the wiring diagram this shouldn't be possible if i have lost the ground, so i thought the problem was in the high/low switch, tracing the power back with a meter shows that the switch is working properly.... there is one other strange thing, for some reason the dash lights are hooked up to the low beam lights, in essence if the high beams are on or just the parking lights, no dash lights...... any ideas?!!? :confused:

I have one, keep looking at the diagram. Do you have voltage to ground at the bulb plug?? I would be looking at the light switch on the dash. pull the plug and see if you have burned any terminals.

Ok last night on my way home i lost my headlights in low beam, the high beams work, but i have no low beam, looking at the wiring diagram this shouldn't be possible if i have lost the ground, so i thought the problem was in the high/low switch, tracing the power back with a meter shows that the switch is working properly.... there is one other strange thing, for some reason the dash lights are hooked up to the low beam lights, in essence if the high beams are on or just the parking lights, no dash lights...... any ideas?!!? :confused:

The light switch itself has gone bad or parts of the switch has gone bad. But either way you will have to replace the switch.

Good luck,

Brian

Ah-ha!, i found it, its was the plug at the hi/low switch, little bit of WD and some wiggleing fixed it right up, funny thing is, both the switch and the plug are brand new (6 mo old), but for some reason wouldn't make a good connection, ill have to shoot some electrical grease in there when i get home.

I am also looking for the lead that comes off the dash into the switch, as i said before the dash lights come on with the lowbeams, so i'm sure someone rigged it because the dimmer stopped working, i want to re-rig it so the dash lights come on with the parking lights, but before i do so i need to find the previous rig and the underside of my dash is a cluster, ... a good 400 bucks will fix the problem permanantly, but untill then it would be nice to see the dash with the high-beams on.

i know the dimmer is bad on the switch, but everything else is working per the voltmeter,

ive learned the hard way that dielectric grease is my friend. it has helped me with alot of connections on my CJ5

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom