oil pan gasket, 76' 258

oil pan gasket, 76' 258

escobar

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5 258. MC2150 carb, PSC steering, Team Rush upgrade, 1 piece rear axles, all electronics relayed. Coming soon: Herculined tub, camo paint- and a bunch of filthy, muddy kids!
Looking up gaskets online, I found 1 piece and multiple piece gaskets. Never used multiple before, but the price looks a lot better.

Anyone use a multiple piece oil pan gasket? Like?

Ok cool thx. Have you replaced a rear main on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ? I understand you can change them out with the pan removed.

Ok cool thx. Have you replaced a rear main on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ? I understand you can change them out with the pan removed.

Yes you can. I just did mine a few months back. The only problem i ran into was that i couldnt get the oil pan off without lifting the engine about 2 inches. Didnt have any chains so i just used my jack and a 2x4. Was actually very easy just took a while to take it off and put back together. I dont know what kind of condition your pan is in but i had to do mine 2 times before i had zero leaks. I also used RTV to make sure it got a good seal, but thats totally up to you. Took about 3 hours for me to do and it was my first time.

Ok thank you.

I don't like rtv at all on an oil pan gasket, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

I always use a little rtv in the corners of oil pans and where the timing cover meets the oil pan just for a little extra insurance. Changing the rear main is pretty easy, I thought you could drop the pan without unbolting the engine mounts but I guess not, any how drop the pan, un bolt the main cap, roll the old seal out roll the new one in, I offset em a little instead of making it flush with the block, install the cap side of the seal, reinstall the cap and torque it back down.

Sent from my DROID2

Ok cool thx bud

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom