Oil pressure gauge

Oil pressure gauge

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
My new gauge is acting weird. All gauges work except this one. It gets a humidity cloud at the bottom center of the gauge. Also, I cannot even see the needle anywhere! Thanks!

It is a factory replacement from Morris 4x4, I see some copper, so I'm assuming it is electric. Maybe the sender?

It gets a humidity cloud at the bottom center of the gauge. Also, I cannot even see the needle anywhere! Thanks!

sounds like a bad gauge, might need to send it back for a replacement.:(

My new gauge is acting weird. All gauges work except this one. It gets a humidity cloud at the bottom center of the gauge. Also, I cannot even see the needle anywhere! Thanks!

Have looked at your post a few times.... was going to post some electrical... but

If I read your post correctly.... the pointer is not there... The pointer will rest on a pin that stops the pointer when "at rest" and will be on the far left of gauge scale. If you do not see the pointer it came off the fulcrom or the axis. There is a bezel opening for the light path and that is where the pointer most likely fell.

If this is true... can take a picture and share it with morris and they can can send you a replacement.... Or they may ask for the unit to be returned...

Internet help is hard... but think this is correct.

It is a factory replacement from Morris 4x4, I see some copper, so I'm assuming it is electric. Maybe the sender?

I agree with old ddog probably from omix they usually aren't very high quality. Another simple thing you can try, is to clean your sending unit they ground through the block and can get pretty dirty and lose ground.

Droooiiddd 2

I will post a pic, but I do not see the pointer! Morris has a terrible return process. I'm done with them. They will charge for shipping both ways guaranteed. I will email, but I know what's coming.

I will post a pic, but I do not see the pointer! Morris has a terrible return process. I'm done with them. They will charge for shipping both ways guaranteed. I will email, but I know what's coming.

Thats what I thougth you were saying... POINTER IS GONE....

Sorry for the book below..... but it will help you ck your sender and we can fix your new gauge. The book of info will keep other readers from making a mistake and fixing their own situation...

First lets ck your sender to see if still works...
The output screw at the bottom is isolated from the Body of the sender... The sender is a variable resister the varies with the pressure input. So..... just sitting there with engine off and cold measure from RESISTANCE from the Threads on Bottom to the body or the threads where it attaches to block.

That is a 0 , zero, pressure reading.... That one is easy... should be 68 to 70 range or so.

Getting at at pressure reading/ reistance off the sender is a bit more tricky. The sender can be pressurized by air and a regulator and some brass pieces.... The sender threads is 1/8 NPT pipe threads and hardware or big box stores like lowes, menards, etc have the brass parts for 1-2$ each pc. Can also use a 1/8 NPT brass pipe and T or Manifold and mount the sender and a Mech Gauge on the engine... On start up cold, max press see what the gague pressure on engine and the reistance of the sender... write it down... Should match what is below or close.... if close then it is working...

The gauge repair....
If the sender is working and you know your cold pressure at start up. The gauge has a crimp on the cover... With a small screw driver you can uncrimp the front cover.... The pointer can come out the bulb hole or the bezel lightting slots.... Once the case is open you can shake out the pointer..... and then start up the engine and place the pointer on the center pin and make the gauge read the start up pressure you have already recorded. So this method you will fix your gauge and calibrate it at the same time.... The hold the gauge together in cushined vise or bar clamp and push the crimps back down... Kinda a threee handed project but it can be done.... I cleaned my 1978 guage this way and calibrated it this way at the same time..... Still working 3 years later.

Can also put a drop of super clue on pin/pointer if you feel it is not on there tight enough.... They are just friction fit.... Maybe you guage got dropped during shippment or was not on there tight.... Pretty simple pieces...

I think the gauge gets ground from the dash..... So you will need to ground the gague to get it to read...... If I rememeber this right....

So...Put the pointer on gently first and then run your wires &or jumpers.. if reads great.... if not then ground the case if reads grounded .... great..... take pointer off and make it read the start up pressure you read druring the sender testing...

Info from past write up....

The old Jeep Sender and Gauge parts and information is messed up at this time. I went thru this about a year ago, there is a general mixed up of the SENDER resistance ranges and the OEM electric gauges that will work correctly with them. So I dug in to fix my issue and this is what I found on the resistance ranges of stock CJ gauges and senders……….. this what is being sold new and what will work for our CJ..

The older CJ's of the 70's use a 2" thick gauge and their own Specific sender and resistance range.

The newer 80’s Cj's have a 1" gauge and a different sender and resistance range.

Full Size Jeeps for the 70s & 80s… also called the FSJ, for these same years have yet another gauge and sender combo with another resistance range. The Field Service Manuals have the resistance levels / ranges listed for the jeeps years of interest if you need to ck the numbers further…

Some time in the 1980's Jeep CJ went to a 1" thick gauge and the oil sender resistance ranges are different. Crown does have a sender that will work, Crown #3212004 and sells for about $20. Morris 4x4.com was selling at 10% discount for a forum discount at the time so it cost me $19 and $4 to ship. Morris and Crown at that time list this for 1975 to 1986 for all CJ, Wagoneers and THIS IS NOT TRUE. THE CROWN SENDER WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE CJ NARROW 1" GAUGE.

This is what I measured with the Crown sender and a pressure regulator, gauge, and multi meter.

Pressure............Measured............spec range
0-3 psi..... ..........70 ohms...........68-70 ohms
40........................23..................21-25
80.........................9....................7-13

the FSM covers much of this in the gauge section

holy :dung: MN!!!! im going to have to print that out! sticky! here is the gauge plus a pic of the ol' girl!

holy :dung: MN!!!! im going to have to print that out! sticky! here is the gauge plus a pic of the ol' girl!

thx.... so glad it will help you....

Here is the full write up to save or print...

Jeep Oil Sender Gauge Options & Ranges

Many sellers of Jeep Gauges are listing their product for working for all JEEPs and it is just not true….. not true if you want the oil gauge to match the oil pressure on the PRESSURE GAUGES mounted on the engine often done for new engine rebuild start ups…….

The old Jeep Sender and Gauge parts and information is messed up at this time. I went thru this about a year ago, there is a general mixed up of the SENDER resistance ranges and the OEM electric gauges that will work correctly with them. So I dug in to fix my issue and this is what I found on the resistance ranges of stock CJ gauges and senders……….. this what is being sold new and what will work for our CJ..

The older CJ's of the 70's use a 2" thick gauge and their own Specific sender and resistance range.

The newer 80’s Cj's have a 1" gauge and a different sender and resistance range.

Full Size Jeeps for the 70s & 80s… also called the FSJ, for these same years have yet another gauge and sender combo with another resistance range. The Field Service Manuals have the resistance levels / ranges listed for the jeeps years of interest if you need to ck the numbers further…

The Gauges and senders cannot be mixed up or the mix combo will not read the correct oil pressure level. I ordered several and many combos do not work… So it is very easy to get the wrong stuff and pair up the wrong stuff. …….. Many sellers of Jeep Gauges are listing their product for working for all JEEPs and it is just not true….. not true if you want the oil gauge to match the oil pressure on the PRESSURE GAUGES mounted on the engine often done for new engine rebuild start ups……. I like having the oil gauge on the engine so decided to keep it there. I currently use the engine mounted/ installed gauge and OEM Jeep oil gauge/ oil sender….. and yes they do match and can match in psi readings.

The 1970's CJs use a 2" gauge
The sender to use is from NAPA #OP6657
Expensive little bugger and is $60, maybe you can get a discount, and if needed can also consider getting the Crown Gauge & Sender because the cost will be similar. I will give Crown info after the Napa Info.
I hooked this up to a presure regulator and gauge and ploted the pressure and resistance ranges using a multimeter.

Pressure............Measured............spec range CJ 1979 FSM
0-3 psi..... ..........239 ohms...........234-246 ohms
3-7......................239..................146-219
40........................108..................100.5 – 105.5
60………………………………………………………..65.69
80........................40....................32.5 – 34.5

Some time in the 1980's Jeep CJ went to a 1" thick gauge and the oil sender resistance ranges are different. Crown does have a sender that will work, Crown #3212004 and sells for about $20. Morris 4x4.com was selling at 10% discount for a forum discount at the time so it cost me $19 and $4 to ship. Morris and Crown at that time list this for 1975 to 1986 for all CJ, Wagoneers and THIS IS NOT TRUE. THE CROWN SENDER WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE CJ NARROW 1" GAUGE.

This is what I measured with the Crown sender and a pressure regulator, gauge, and multi meter.

Pressure............Measured............spec range
0-3 psi..... ..........70 ohms...........68-70 ohms
40........................23..................21-25
80.........................9....................7-13

FURTHER caution is the CJ and Full size use a different gauge and sender. I went thru about 15 years of Jeep Field Service Manuals, FSMs, and they do list the resistance ranges and have pictures / drawings of the oil gauge face. The 1" and 2" gauges do have different faces. I would measure the oil sender pres/resistance range before installing any.

The Crown gauge is in the $20-30 range is I remember right. So it might be less expensive to get the Crown Gauge & Sender compaired to the $60 Napa sender needed for the 2" gauge. I have also been looking for a spare 2" CJ oil gauge and they are not easy to come by. Just thought I would mention this option as well.

TEMP SENDERS are also a issue. I purched 3-4 inexpensive units and the temp/reistance range was not correct. I ordered Napa's premium unit,Elchin? Brand, double the price, and boiled it in water prior to install to test, can also be returned as new if does not pass test, and the boil waster is 212 Deg F or very close and will have a resistance value about 35 ohms. Take it out of boiling water FAST put on paper towel, something that is not a heat sink, and measure the resistance with a multimeter. This needs to be done FAST you will see the resistance change in seconds. Thought I would throw this into the conversation about CJ gauge solutions.

My Temp gauge was bairly reading with PO set up. That temp sender and 3-4 more all failed till I tried the Napa Elchin premium version for the CJ Temp Sender. That one measured correctly.

I have seen the pressure and temp issues dozens of times.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thats a good looking jeep Germy!:chug:

Thank you! It has been awesome driving her the last couple of days!

Update. I emailed Morris, a lovely lady called the next morning saying that a new one is being shipped out, no need to return the damaged one. Now I feel bad for my earlier comments!

ooops wrong post/thread..... will move this over to your new one

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom