Oil pump help

Oil pump help

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
Got everything together except oil pump. I ordered a new housing to attach to the timing cover and a rebuild kit by melling. On the housing, a plunger is dropped then followed by spring and nut, right? My plunger won't go past 1/4 inch down and I can't get it out? Any thoughts?View attachment 12789

That is one SWEET looking engine!

Unfortunately I can't offer assistance on the issue at hand other than to say I hope you are going to have a window installed in the hood of whatever you are going to install that in! That deserves to be prominently displayed!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Haha! Thanks, I appreciate it! Money money money

Nice build.

What pump housing did you order? Unfortunately many AMC oil filter housings are not manufactured correctly. You may need to hone the oil pressure relief area to fit (as you now know).

If you want to replace AMC oil pump products, there is only one place to go and that is

Bulltear! Www.bulLtear.com

Nice build.

What pump housing did you order? Unfortunately many AMC oil filter housings are not manufactured correctly. You may need to hone the oil pressure relief area to fit (as you now know).

If you want to replace AMC oil pump products, there is only one place to go and that is

Bulltear! Www.bulLtear.com

That's where I got my pulleys! The bad news is that thet had a casting error and the housing is currently unavailable. I ordered from Morris, should I try my luck again? I couldn't even get the plunger past the threads.

Well I totally agree with CJ Bulltear I ordered their whole kit, they also have a filter relocation kit that would get rid of the housing. They are unfortunately only made in China and not to the greatest of standards:cool:

Bulltear emailed, we shall see if they are back in production yet

Here are some pics. Does anyone know where I can get the missing parts for filter? I found the bypass plug at bulltear, but where do you find the stud to screw to filter to?See the plunger only 1/4 inch down and cracked out of anger?

aqytugat.jpg
u9eru3yg.jpg
nezy7eva.jpg

Last edited:
Bumpin, sorry. Gotta get this figured out, final step before dropping it in

Got everything together except oil pump. I ordered a new housing to attach to the timing cover and a rebuild kit by melling. On the housing, a plunger is dropped then followed by spring and nut, right? My plunger won't go past 1/4 inch down and I can't get it out? Any thoughts?View attachment 12789

If you bought a Crown oil pump/filter housing, send it back. NONE of them are machined properly. That is why the poppet is stuck. Find a used OEM housing. The crown one I bought spiked my oil pressure at 105 PSI and caused all sorts of problems!

Ok, thanks. I'll wait on bulltear. I still need to know where to get the plate stud and rubber?

Ok, talked to bulltear, nice guy! He has the housings with the bypass blocked and said all I need is the stud and nobody makes them. Do any of you guys know where I can get one or do you have a spare?

Thanks!

Should be like a 13/16-16 thread. I wonder why no one has them? That engine is a pretty common thread size on the oil filter, the main difference in MOST filters is the capacity and o-ring size on the filter themselves. Most Chevy engines have the same thread, same for dodge and ford and AMC. Filters have different numbers thoughdue to overall dimensions and capacity amongst other things.

Look up your filter on the K&N website and it will tell you what the thread size is for the arbor.

Cool, you thinking like a brass fitting from hardware store? If I buy the bulltear, I'll have to buy non bypass filters correct? Is the only seal the outer o ring on the filter?

That would work, but remember that the filter you put on there will have mild steel threads. I would try and find another one like that but made out of steel. Unless you ALWAYS change your own oil and realize how little pressure it takes to seal an oil filter!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Ok, so if I buy bulltears housing, it comes blocked off, so do I buy special non bypass filters? Second ? All I need is the stud and rebuild kit and I'm done? Third question, on the relief valve, where the spring goes, what length bolt is that, does it matter if the spring is more or less compressed?

Thanks in advance all, I'm so close

Hate to tell you, but stud has two (2) different threads. One to thread into casting and the other for the filter side. I have an extra one, but won't be free!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom