Oily clutch

Oily clutch

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
I believe I got oil on my clutch. What I need to know is if it wasnt that bad will it burn off and restore my clutch to relatively normal? I had used it just backing up and down the driveway at first and my driveway has a steep grade to it. It took numerous trys to get it up the driveway. The next time I had to move the Jeep after the leak was fixed it seemed alot easier. Still not perfect but alot better. I had it in 4wd this time since my driveway was a winter wonderland. That was the only difference.

I`d try to hit with some brake cleaner.

"burning" it off will only heat and glaze the clutch friction pads and flywheel.

Which down the road will lead to chattering. Plus you stand a good chance to overheating the flywheel. Causes small heat cracks.

Ok. I'll take the inspection plate of and get a peak at it within the next few days. Thanx for the replies.

You can try to spray some brake cleaner in there but to do it right it shoud be sprayed between the pressure plate and the friction plate. I don't see how you can get it in there. Give it a try. If you use up half a can you might get half an ounce in there.
Otherwise just be careful and see how it runs. If the clutch keeps slipping it will need to be replaced.
How did you get oil on your clutch? A leak? Are you sure you wont' be getting any more oil in there?

I am not sure how similar clutch disk and brake shoe material is but brake material swells when it gets oil on it, I have been told that a over full axle and a bad axle seal can be a real problem as it will lock the wheel tighter than Dicks hat band. Maybe just another Urban legend.
can't wait to see how this turns out.:cool:

I guess the real question is how the oil got there and will it be happening again? :cool:

I am not sure how similar clutch disk and brake shoe material is but brake material swells when it gets oil on it, I have been told that a over full axle and a bad axle seal can be a real problem as it will lock the wheel tighter than pinkies hat band. Maybe just another Urban legend.
can't wait to see how this turns out.:cool:

I think I can debunck this one. I've had leaky seals before and oily shoes but never had them lock up. Not stop, yes.

I guess the real question is how the oil got there and will it be happening again? :cool:

Come on Pete what happened?

And since I've always been an auto guy, I have no idea.

Well the honest answer is I had my old Mc2150 vaccum lines hooked up wrong. The Scrambler never leaked oil until I switched the carb. I built up pressure inside and now it leaks from the valve cover gasket and was pushing through the breather. The clutch started giving me problems soon after I noticed all the oil.

I used the Jeep very sparingly , just about 8 or 10 two block trips when I was moving. The linkage itself was worn out so I replaced that. Afterward I still had to rev up the rpms and work the clutch to get it back in the garage. Well the other day I had to swap it around and it wasnt nearly as bad. The only difference was the Scrambler was in 4wd cause of the snow. I was thinking maybe some oil got on there and that I may have burned it off the day I had a hard time getting it in the garage. :confused:

I gotta investigate further and I'll take pics as I go.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom