OME vs. BDS lifts

OME vs. BDS lifts

1981cj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 4.2L, SR4, D300, AMC20
Hi. I recently purchased a 81 CJ7. I am replacing all my shot steering components. While I have it torn apart, I’m wondering if now is the time to replace the original springs. They are pretty flat. The PO added a shackle lift and 31” tires. I want to get rid of the huge shackles, and add a 2”+/- spring lift. I am looking for as smooth a ride on the highway as I can get(with in reason). So my questions are,
1) is now the time to address the springs, or can it wait? I just dished out a lot of money on the Jeep itself, and all the steering components so it can pass inspection and safely drive down the road.
2) my research indicates that my best options are BDS or OME. Is there really a big difference between the two besides the price?
Any input would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Attachments

• EC5B1915-297F-4FDC-9FDE-B35AD040D4D9.jpg
    EC5B1915-297F-4FDC-9FDE-B35AD040D4D9.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 81
  • BAD16E10-3092-4B38-87A5-560CC4133C90.jpg
    BAD16E10-3092-4B38-87A5-560CC4133C90.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 60
Maybe for now just get some good shackles, not extra length.

How high do you want to lift it? OME only have a 2 1/2 inch lift but BDS has up to 4 1-/2 inch spring/shackle lift. I know when I decide to go with a set of YJ springs I will go with BDS springs.

How high do you want to lift it? OME only have a 2 1/2 inch lift but BDS has up to 4 1-/2 inch spring/shackle lift. I know when I decide to go with a set of YJ springs I will go with BDS springs.
I would like a 2” lift. But if I go with OME, I’m aware it would be 2-1/2”. You said when you go with YJ springs.....? Part of the appeal of the BDS, was that I wouldn’t need to upgrade and/or move the front mounts to fit YJ springs. What factors helped you decide on the BDS vs the OME?

I would like a 2” lift. But if I go with OME, I’m aware it would be 2-1/2”. You said when you go with YJ springs.....? Part of the appeal of the BDS, was that I wouldn’t need to upgrade and/or move the front mounts to fit YJ springs. What factors helped you decide on the BDS vs the OME?

BDS offers a 4 inch lift is why I decided on them I run 33 inch tires so need a 4 inch lift. Plus they have a NO BS warranty If you are the original purchaser of any BDS product and it breaks, we will give you a new part. Period. They have full military wrap on both ends.
Reason why YJ springs they have a better ride. Also the stock front cj spring width drives me nuts but thats something personal. The front and back are 2 1/2 inch wide. Your front axle moves forward around an inch so a bit better of an approach angle.
If OME made a 4 inch lift it would be pretty hard for me to decide between the two.

Last edited:
I have a new 2 1/2" BDS SUA lift on mine and the ride is pretty good. My wife complains that it is too stiff but she is used to driving the grocery getter" :)

Hi. I recently purchased a 81 CJ7. I am replacing all my shot steering components. While I have it torn apart, I’m wondering if now is the time to replace the original springs. They are pretty flat. The PO added a shackle lift and 31” tires. I want to get rid of the huge shackles, and add a 2”+/- spring lift. I am looking for as smooth a ride on the highway as I can get(with in reason). So my questions are,
1) is now the time to address the springs, or can it wait? I just dished out a lot of money on the Jeep itself, and all the steering components so it can pass inspection and safely drive down the road.
2) my research indicates that my best options are BDS or OME. Is there really a big difference between the two besides the price?
Any input would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

I've had the 4" BDS for about five years now. I, too looked at both, and the deciding factor between the two for me was also reluctance to relocate hangers, along with the desire for 4". I also decided to do the steering at the same time, since it was already down. From a safety aspect, I can't recommend it enough...don't wait. Especially if you have bad bumpsteer. Mine had lift shackles near 4" long...That, coupled with the worn steering made it a :dung: shoot as to where it was gonna go every time I took it out.

Great quality, to say nothing of the warranty as someone already mentioned.
It's solid, but stiff. That said, it's probably a decision best guided by what you intend to do with the Jeep.

The ride on road and flex off road on the OMEs are going to be better. In fact, the only complaint I've ever come across had to do with them being too soft and not lasting very long in a spring over application that's wheeled hard.

Cant speak to BDS, but OME is a sweet ride, and I'm running heavys with double main springs.

Did you do the YJ spring conversion, or stick with the narrower CJ springs in the front?

I stuck with the narrower CJ springs as I didn't want to mess around with new spring hangers. I also got a pretty sweet deal on a complete BDS kit from OK4WD. The only thing I had to buy separate were spring plates and a different stabilizer because I have an aftermarket stabilizer and the stock mount on my Cj had been cut off by a PO. It went on pretty good, only took me a solid day and a half with my kid to change out the complete suspension.

Thank you everyone for your input. I made the leap, and ordered the BDS kit today. On their web site they state that I might still need some parts that aren’t supplied with the kit. Any of you know what they might be?
Thanks again

Thank you everyone for your input. I made the leap, and ordered the BDS kit today. On their web site they state that I might still need some parts that aren’t supplied with the kit. Any of you know what they might be?
Thanks again

Give them a call and give them your order number. Every time I've called, they've been super helpful. I think it all depends on what you add on to the kit.

Thanks again
This is what I ordered exttra:
BDS 2-12" Lift kit
Pro Comp*220508*ES2000 Steering Stabilizer
Energy Suspension*Front or Rear Bump Stops
Daystar*KJ02025BK*Greasable Maineye Bushings
Currie Enterprises*CE-9035A*Front Greasable Shackle Pair
Currie Enterprises*CE-9034*Rear Greasable Shackle Pair
Spring plates front and rear (keep in mind there is a different plate for each spring; the only spring plates I could find were from Crown/Omix unless I wanted to fab my own)
New nylon threaded nuts

Depending on how much lift you got you may also have to replace the driveshaft, but that depends on your particular CJ

Last edited:
I'm running a 2 1/2 inch BDS lift with 1 inch body lift on my 78 CJ5. My CJ rides just fine on a set of 33x12.50-15 Super Swampers.

I have the 4" BDS lift on mine, it is definitely a firm ride not a spongy one. I bought the complete kit, the only thing I had to buy separate was the upper spring bushings, that was listed in the add-ons. I also installed a TWs double cardan rear drive shaft, but that was mainly because the old one didn't run true, always had a very slight vibration.
The only issue and isn't really one, just aesthetics, the 33s don't fill the wheel well up, to bad you can't get 34" tire in a 15. It might look better if I put a set of stock fender flares on too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks