opinion on drivetrain

opinion on drivetrain

1986cj7

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 258, t-176 4-speed, d-300, moser one piece axle in back in amc 20,G2 4.10 gears front and back, detroit truetac front and back,G2 4340 chromoly front axles in a d-30, 4" rough country lift, 33" tires
I'm looking at buying a 345 international v8 with an auto torque 727 and a Dana 20 and Dana 44s front and back this is in a 1979 Scout II. Now I know this is a cj site, but everything I've read says this is a great combo. I'm looking for any and all opinions! Thanks in advance!~!:)

My only concern would be aftermarket support for the 345. What other vehicles was it in?

I have to agree on the 345 support, could be slim. Obviously you didn’t get lucky enough to end up with an OEM Dana 44 rear in your jeep. There are some issues with the cast on a CJ in relation to a Scout that you most likely already know and you would be swapping out a Dana 300 for a Dana 20 reducing your crawl ratio, all in all I would question the swap unless all the donor parts were free. You might be better served to stick with a Jeep motor (AMC V8), Jeep tranny, and keep the Dana 300 ; OEM parts and virtually no adaptors.

I'd wheel it as is, might not be a jeep but still a good unit.

I'd wheel it as is, might not be a jeep but still a good unit.
I was planning on driving the scout as is. Just wanted some more opinions on the motor and Transmission . On the aftermarket support I've found a few online that have parts for it. When I go look at it next weekend we'll see.:cool: Thanks for the opinions keep them coming. I didn't think of the aftermarket support on the 345. Thanks:)

I was planning on driving the scout as is. Just wanted some more opinions on the motor and Transmission . On the aftermarket support I've found a few online that have parts for it. When I go look at it next weekend we'll see.:cool: Thanks for the opinions keep them coming. I didn't think of the aftermarket support on the 345. Thanks:)

The 727 is a great auto....strong and very small, it works great in Jeeps. I have friends running them behind 401's in CJ5 's....that's how short they are ;)

You might wanna also look at replacment parts at the parts stores. I do not think Scout seals, ball joints, rotors and such are a high volume sales items...we all break down sooner or later

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom