orange hot exhaust manifold

orange hot exhaust manifold

elwood blues

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.
Took the CJ to work today :cool:. Now it didn't run fantastically, but overall not bad. I just got back from a trip to Wally-World, for mouse traps and a can of sea foam to flush out the carb and intake. She didn't run too bad, but spit, sputtered, and bucked about a little bit. Get home, pull her straight in the garage, flip open the the hood and holly :dung: the exhaust manifold is orange hot :confused:. This can't be normal, what the heck is going on???

Which is the better way of adjusting the timing, a timing light, or a vacuum gauge?

You need to use a timing light.

Disconnect and plug the vacuum hose from the distributor to the carb and plug it (on the carb side) then set your timing. Then reattach the vacuum line and set your idle speed.

No problem!

BTW - Great smilie! It is now added to our collection...

Code:
:rock:

:rock:

On my old CJ2a , we swapped in a (used) chebby engine after blowing the 327 that was in there. Had a buddy re-install the dizzy and replace the points after the install, then tried to start it.
Now, I had owned and driven this engine for 5 years and never had a lick of trouble with it. But we could not for the life of us get it started that day. SO we tried rolling it down the hill I lived on and eventually got it fired up and I headed back to the garage.
Backed it into the garage and my buddy started yelling to shut it down! When I looked at the exhaust (headers/glasspacks on the sides) they were glowing red hot! My buddy actually lit a cigar off them about 3 minutes after I shut it down!
Needless to say, I finally double-checked his work and found he forgot to install one of the screws for the points set and they cocked over and advanced the timing wayyy out.
they told me I had flames shooting out the sides about 2 foot on the way back up the hill to the house....Good thing I didn't set the garage on fire that day! :laugh:

Sorry for the long post but its a good story!

CJ, I've got a ton of gifs saved on photobucket. I PM'd you the link, you may bogart as many as you want.

mylittlecj5, that sounds an aweful lot like what I've got going on. I'll get at that tomorrow. Thanks you guys.

Last edited:
Alright guys. CJ, you were right, holy :dung: was my timing off. I've got it to within a couple degrees of TDC, it's still idling a little odd, and doesn't feel like it's just right. How do I know if I'm 180 out?

If you were 180 out the engine wouldn't even run... It would shoot flames out the intake!

Just set it to factory specs and you should be OK... :)

Well, it's definately not shooting flames out the intake, so I'm not 180 out. I'll get back at it tomorrow. Thanks CJ.

Hey CJ, in the mountains of tech articles that you have, do you have a spec sheet for timing a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ? I have yet to find, online or in the couple of books I have, exactly where my timing should be set at. Thanks.

Last edited:
6 degrees BTDC. That was exactly what I was looking for. I would have never thought of autozone, thanks again CJ.

OMFG what a HUGE difference! Thanks again CJ, she's running better than I think she ever has. This is the power difference I was hoping for with the motorcraft carb swap.

The whole reason I did the JY TBI swap. No carb and the computer controls timing.

The whole reason I did the JY TBI swap. No carb and the computer controls timing.

Just the exact opposite reason I with with the Motorcraft carb, I wanted to keep a carb and not have a computer.

To each their own Jeep :chug:

Just the exact opposite reason I with with the Motorcraft carb, I wanted to keep a carb and not have a computer.

To each their own Jeep :chug:

I hear ya brother! I have a Dodge CTD, and an 04 Grand Cherokee. Opening the hood on them just makes me wet my pants in fear and call the garage! With the CJ, a screw driver, one rack of sockets, a fist full of wrenches, and I can have it to the frame. :D ....Simple! Just like me. ;)

That's true but a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with a throttlebody, harness, and computer, 3 or 4 sensors.
It's easy easy, and around here with the altitude changes, I'm not having to retune, when going from 4000ft to 11,000. They are from a chevy 4.3L and are very reliable, plus I carry a few spare parts just in case. I pulled most of the parts from the wrecking yard.
I grew up with carbs, and just finally wanted something I didn't have to tinker with.

But glad to here you got your ride in tune and running.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom