Paint Prep for Fiberglass Bodies

Paint Prep for Fiberglass Bodies

Tim

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 258 i6 with the 4 speed manual
I just got an '83 CJ7 that has a newer fiberglass body on it that is in great shape, but I would like to get it painted. I've never painted before myself, so I am not going to attempt that, but I figured I could at least do the prep myself to save some money. I am assuming I can just sand it down and send it to paint, but I am curious what I should be using (paper grain, orbital sander, etc). I have never done body work before so any pointers would be greatly appreciated . Thanks everyone.

wet sand with 400 grit sand paper clean all oil residue and prime it assuming you have no dents to fill

Also just so you know, where gloves, a respirator (if dry sanding) and long sleeves unless you wanna itch for a couple days.

I just sanded mine down with 400 grit and then cleaned it with mineral spirits at the painters shop. The factory gel coat was good enough for him to have a solid base.

Wet sanded mine with 400, wiped it down with clear water, then wiped it down twice with thinner to remove any oil. Then primed it with a 2 part primer, and shot the top coat. I had a custom color made in PPG Concept paint. It's a little pliable. I had a Vette shop recommend it for fiberglass.

Wet sanded mine with 400, wiped it down with clear water, then wiped it down twice with thinner to remove any oil. Then primed it with a 2 part primer, and shot the top coat. I had a custom color made in PPG Concept paint. It's a little pliable. I had a Vette shop recommend it for fiberglass.

Any pics? I'd like to see it.

Any pics? I'd like to see it.

Nothing really good, I can pop a few if you like. This is the day I rolled it out of the garage 14 years ago

and recently. The paint has worn like iron.

doneg.jpg

020jd.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom