painting a hardtop

painting a hardtop

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
I'm not new to painting but looking at this hardtop with the texture it has and the doors how did yall prep that surface? I notice it's chipping off my doors in places. It's not exactly a smooth surface.

Years ago, I did the same thing..
Had the tub at a paint shop and decided to lose the texture and have him shoot it with the same color as the body.

I "thought" i had it sanded and prepped perfectly, however, when the gloss was shot on it, apparently I had sanded waves into it. It looked ridiculous and hasnt been put back on the jeep since. Its still sitting in the back yard.

A couple weeks ago I began thinking about putting a texture BACK ON...... Wish I hadnt sanded it off to begin with.

How did yours turn out? Ever sand/paint it.?

I haven't done anything to it yet. I'd like to keep that textured look though. When I do I'll post.

On boats there is a non-skid pattern. Most of the guys who paint decks will use a product like AJAX scouring and then follow up with a 3M Pad. This typically preps the decks well, they were using Sterling or Awlgrip 2 part urethane paints.
I have some repairs to make on my top and was wondering how to keep the texture.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom